Burning a CD

Kieth

I have tried burning CDs in and out of root. No luck.

As lxthusdan suggested, I disabled supermount. Now I can manually mount my cd-rom, but not my burner! I also tried it with only my burner on my IDE cable (I disconected my cd-rom from the IDE cable). Still no luck. I started KwikDisk (a mount/unmount program), and without a problem the cd-rom is mounted, but it refuses to mount the burner. When I try, the message it gives me is:

called: mount/dev/scd0

mount: No medium found

Therefore, it would seem that, even though KwikDisk opens and closes the door to my burner, it is not able to see any type of disk I put into it.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be greatly (and I mean really greatly) appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kieth

I had tried to mount my burner with a disk with data. No luck. It still states that there is no 'medium'.

Just a curiosity question, bu I take it then that I should be able to burn a CD without mounting it first? If this is true, how do you burn a CD with supermount enabled?

The fact that a CD, with or without data, is not recognised in my burner, could that be a BIOS problem?

For clarification, has the cdrw ever worked in any system? No medium found means that linux sees a device, but it has nothing to report. A cd going out might act like this if the motor spins the disk, but the laser is not reading.

Just a curiosity question, bu I take it then that I should be able to burn a CD without mounting it first? If this is true, how do you burn a CD with supermount enabled?

All supermount does is automatically mount a CD that has a mountable file system (ISO9660). If it has no file system (new, empty cd or audio cd), the system cannot mount it (with or without supermount). I have supermount enabled and I can still read, record, and rewrite CDs.

Well, lxthusdan, you were right, my burner wasn't working. As soon as you posted your reply, I pulled my burner and took it to a computer store. After spending about $70, I now have a new burner (40x12x48). Also, I can now visualize cds I put into it, IF I disconect the IDE cable from my other cd-rom. That is, my computer does not see both my CD-Rom and my burner on the same IDE cable. I can read/use one or the other, but not both. Therefore I would presume I have to switch my burner and a harddrive so that both cd-roms are not on the same IDE cable. Since I tried it once (see above) and it did not work, could someone explain to me (in very simple terms) how I could switch them? Last time I did, I could not enter into Linux.

Thanks,

Kieth

I was able to get my computer to read both cd-roms. Actually, the man at the computer store did it! I had the pins set wrong. Anyway, the good news is:

I BURNT MY FIRST CD IN LINUX!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help!!

Kieth