Burning a CD

Kieth

I have been using Mandrake for about a year. First I had 8.2, now 9.0. I have never been able to burn a CD. I have read all of the advice given here, and for some reason I have never been able to figure out what the problem is. I obviously am not a computer wiz!! I thought once I got Mandrake 9.0, I would be able to copy a CD, but . . . .

Today, I tried again with eroaster, and this is the message it gave.

Writing: Initial Padbock Start Block 0

scsidev: '0,0,0'

scsibus:0 target: 0 lun: 0

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

cdrecord: No such file or direcotry. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jorg Schilling

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

mkisofs: Broken pipe. cannot fwrite 2048*1

In a terminal, as root, I wrote cdrecord -scanbus, and the results were:

Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jorg Schilling

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'

scsibus0:

0,0,0 0) *

0,1,0 1) *

0,2,0 2) *

0,3,0 3) 'ATAPI ' 'CD-R/RW 4X4X32 ' '3.DS' Removable CD-ROM

0,4,0 4) *

0,5,0 5) *

0,6,0 6) *

0,7,0 7) *

I then tried to burn another CD, but I had the same result and message.

In the configuration menu, under KDE - Information - Devices - SCSI, it states:

Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 ld: 03 Lun: 00

Vendor: ATAPI Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32 Rev. 3.DS

Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

In my /etc/fstab file, it is written:

/dev/hdb1 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdb8 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb7 /var ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Any help on getting this thing working would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the time and effort in helping.

Kieth

Would you look at a file /etc/lilo.conf and post what it says here?

Also, if you don't turn off supermount you will discover how really bad linux can be! It causes odd problems.

It seems that your fstab lines should start with /dev/xxx/xxx

It is currently starting with the mount points. It looks wrong,

Should be /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user blahblahblah

Also, if you want to copy cd's, both of your drives need to be scsi emulated.

Thanks for the reply. My /etc/lilo.conf file states this:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/it-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windows

table=/dev/hda

Thanks again,

Kieth

OK, please verify that your cdrw is on your secondary slave ide. It looks like you have 2 harddrives and two cd devices.

I always make sure that my cd devices are on different ide channels. If your reader is on the primary, put the writer on the secondary.

I'm not sure how simple to make this, so if it doesn't make sense, let me know and I will simplify further.

In lilo:

the line that reads append="defs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

is emulating a scsi device on your secondary slave channel, your cdrw.

If that is not accurate, then change hdd to

hda for primary master,

hdb for primary slave,

hdc for secondary master. Only one choice needs to be done, where ever your cdrw is located If you are not sure, look at the bios screen when your computer first boots, and it will tell you what is where.

Do this first, and tell me what's up.

OK, I have downloaded the recent updates for Mandrake 9.0, but it did not list a new cdrecord file, so I presume I have the latest release installed. For my BIOS screen, it states:

Diskette Drive A: 1.44M, 3.5 in Display type EGA/VGA

Diskette Drive B: none Serial port(s) 3F8 2F8

Pri. Master Disk: LBA, UDMA 33, 10248MB Parallel port(s) 378

Pri. Slave Disk: LBA, UDMA 33, 20548MB EDO Dram at Bank None

Sec. Master Disk: CDROM, UDMA 33 SDRAM at Bank 01

Sec. Slave Disk: CDROM, Mode 4

If I understand it correctly (and if I do it's because I had a lucky guess!), my lilo file is correct, because it is emulating the secondary slave disk. Therefore, I did not change anything in lilo.

So far, I have not changed anything. Should I now make changes in fstab, or another file?

Thanks again for your help.

Kieth

Do you know how to change the ide devices around. In other words, are you comfortable with opening your box? I never put the cd devices on the same ide channel. Your secondary is where all of your cd devices currently reside, and I would switch one of them to the other ide channel. If you move the cdrw to the master slave, and put that hard drive to secondary slave, that would do it.

I do not mind opening my box. I installed the disks I'm using. I do not know if it matters, but the hard drive with 10GB is where I put Windows. The one with 20GB is where I put Linux. Do I need to switch the cables or just the jumper caps, or what?

I certainly appreciate your help.

Kieth

In your box, you have the two hard drives on one ide cable, and the two cd devices on the other ide cable. What I am suggesting is that you switch places with your cdrw and your 20g hard drive. They are both slave devices, so switching cable places with them will not entail any jumper changes. Your master will then have one hard drive with windows and the cdrw as slave, and your secondary will have the cd reader and the 20g hard drive with linux as slave.

Try that, and tell me what happens.

I switched the ide cables, but then I only had problems. I could open Windows (on the small hard drive) but not Linux. It could not find the hard drive (the 20GB one). I tried to resolve the problem, but since I'm not too good with computers, I couldn't. Is there something else that I could try to burn a CD, then if it still doesn't work, then try changing my ide cables?

Thanks again for your help. I know I'm not too good with computers.

Kieth

OK, there were some edits that had to be made that I forgot to tell you. Sorry :oops:

To test my theory about cd devices, though, there is a simpler way. Just disconnect the cdrom and see if the burner will then respond normally. If it does, then we'll do the re-arrange with full instructions.

OK, I have tried to do what was previously written. ERoaster now looks for the scsi device 0,3,0. I also tried to burn a CD with only my burner on the IDE cable. Still no luck.

This last time that I tried to burn a CD with ERoaster, there was a long message, but part of it was:

Sense Key: =X2 Not ready, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0X3A Qual 0X00 (medium not present) Fru 0X0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

cdrecord: No disk/Wrong disk

mkisofs: Broken pipe.cannot fwrite 2048*1

I tried burning the CD while logged in as root. It doesn't seem to recognize the CD I have in the drive. I even tried more than one. It was a CD-RW disk.

Any new ideas as to why I'm still having problems? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kieth

Kieth,

Have u tried burning cd's as root ? If u can, then it may just be a permission problem.

Also, if u use xcdroast, make sure that u have enabled the non-root mode.