delay in accessing /mnt

cmus

Hi,

Every time I try to browse to my /mnt folder, there is a long delay before the items appear. I may have caused this problem when trying to mount a diskonkey usb device or a couple of external usb hard drives. Is there any way to clean up some settings so my system doesn't continue to look for these devices when they are not plugged in?

Mahalo,

Craig

mandrake 10, gnome

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

i guess you could deactivate hotplugging as service and instead manipulate the /etc/fstab file. thus the system would believe that the hardware is always plugged in, although it isn't. i did something like this on my gentoo box, in order to reduce trouble with my external usb floppy drive.

Edited by arctic

okay, first of all, go to your mandrake-control-center. (=configure your computer)

there you will find a section that says "system" → "system-services". in this folder, you can start/stop and activate/deactivate your services. just look for the hotplug-entry and disable it. now open your file-manager (e.g. konqueror) and go to the /mnt folder. does it still take long to load? if yes, you can reactivate the hotplug-service because the problem is elsewhere. but first start with this.

if your /mnt folder starts at once, then we will look at your fstab, the usb-devices you have and try to modify it, so that everything works in a very smooth way.

:)

Arctic -

Hotplug was already disabled. Here is the contents of my /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hda7 /mnt/fat32 vfat umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda8 /mnt/fat32b vfat umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanks for your help....

good, in your fstab, there is no usb-entry and it looks quite good the way it is. what we will do now is add some lines at the bottom of your fstab. let us give it a try. i can't guarantee that it will work at once and we might need some time to get it properly configured, but let's start anyway. everythign can be f ixed. ;)

a typical usb-entry in fstab would look e.g. like this:

/dev/sda  /mnt/disk1  auto    user,noauto,exec  0 0

in here, you find:

/dev = folder for the devices plugged into your box

/sda = one usb entry. there are many variants to this. you might need to change this e.g. to sda1 or sda2 (in case that there are one of more partitions on the drive) or sdb1, sdb2 etc.

the a and b entries are for the disk you plug in, while sd simply says "hey, usb-device!", so if you have e.g sda3, it would be usb-device number one, third partition on it.

/mnt = your linux folder where you mount all your devices

/mnt/disk1 = the folder for your hdd, you are mounting in /mnt. the folder can be named any way you want.

auto = auto detecting the fileformat, might need to be changed to different mode (e.g. reiserfs, ext3, vfat, iso9660,...)

the rest defines the user-access /usergroups that get or do not get access to files. i think this should be okay, the way it is. you might want to look into a fstab-manual/fstab-howto. there are many on the net and they are useful.

now, once you have set up this stuff, in e.g. nautilus, you should see the corresponding folders for the usb-devices if you click the "computer" icon. a click on the folder should automatically mout the device. unmounting is done via right click on icon →"unmount/eject device"

i hope i could help you. if it is still causing trouble, please report. :)