slow terminal launch

I run Mandrake 10.0. When I launch a terminal window in KDE, the launch is slow. Sometimes taking up to 5 or 6 seconds. The computer is not a slow machine and this problem has only arisen in the last few weeks. Does anyone have a fix for this or know where I can look around to fix it? I have a friend running MDK 10.0 as well and his does the same.

Any help is always appreciated.

On a related note, I have noticed that when my wifi link goes down (as it does frequently - sigh), virtually any KDE app (including Konsole) can take 30-40 seconds to start. Presumably, this is a timeout on a failed attempt to get on the network.

Why does KDE need to query the network every time it starts an app?

Your /etc/hosts file is messed up you need to modify it for the connection type you are using if you switch network connections...

OR you to make sure that your hostname in

/etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf are the same....

You also need to make sure that if you are using dhcp to get your ip address that it is not changing your hostname from something like loclhost.localdomain to something like myispnode.ipaddyfromisp.ispname.com KDE slows down when this happens....

Edited by thinkliberty