Mandrake 10.1 Wireless install - Newbie Help!!!

Guest paladinew

Guest paladinew

Hello all, I'm brand new to linux and am getting very frustrated. I've been reading and reading and cant figure out how to install anything. Why on earth is it so difficult to install anything?

I want to get my wireless card to work on my compaq armada laptop. I've read lots and lots about ndiswrapper and mad something... I'm really trying here guys but I cant figure this out for the life of me. The card I have is a Netgear WG511T pcmcia card. It's supposed to run at 108mbps, but I've heard linux will only support 54...

I need step by step detailed instructions PLEASE. I really don't want to go back to XP. =(

btw, I have mandrake 10.1 community installed.

THANK YOU

~Mike

Moved from Software forum to Networking forum - Artificial Intelligence

The FAQ is here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=5494

Some aspects of installation are not covered there though; for example, you should start by checking for a bug that occurred with 10.0 Community. 10.1 may have fixed this, but if (like 10.0) it has an older ndiswrapper pre-installed, you need to get under the hood to remove it. Here's my suggestion for making a clean start (do this before installing the latest version of ndiswrapper):

1) If you don't have it already, you will need the source package for your current kernel in order to use ndiswrapper. Open a konsole, type su to login as root (you will be prompted for root password) and then type:

$> urpmi kernel-source<kernel number here>

You will be prompted to download and install the package.

2) Now you need to start cleaning house.

$> urpme ndiswrapper

This will remove MOST of the preinstalled ndiswrapper 0.4 (yes, 0.4) or of whichever version you have installed already. To get rid of the rest:

3) (Still as root user) type:

$> kwrite /lib/modules/<kernel version>/modules.dep

[EDIT - Sorry, this bit was wrong before, I left out the <kernel-version> folder :oops: ]

In this file, find and delete the following lines:

/lib/modules/<kernel version>/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

/lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz

Save and close. Now you may as well delete the files themselves - do it from the console by typing

$> rm <path as above>

4) now you can install an up-to-date version of ndiswrapper. If you can find an RPM (say at rpmfind.net or rpm.pbone.net), don't settle for a version lower than 0.9 for such a new card. Alternatively, grab the newest source package (tar.gz) from their website and follow the instructions in INSTALL. This is a useful document whether you use source or RPM, because it also has basic clear instructions for installing your Windoze drivers. Let me know if any of the INSTALL confuses you.

6) I also advise creating a config file for your wireless interface. It should be called

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

If you don't yet have this file, you can create it either through Control Center (create a wireless connection) or manually. Control Center is a good shorthand way to input all your network info (TCP/IP settings, wireless SSID, encryption key etc.) but you should be prepared to check and tweak the file if it still doesn't work.

7) Once you have used the ndiswrapper -l command to check your installed driver recognises the card when inserted, remove the card and do ndiswrapper -m so your ifcfg-wlan0 config file will be read when you re-insert. (But don't re-insert yet.)

8) Now type

$> modprobe ndiswrapper

Then insert the card. If the card has an LED to indicate power-on, it SHOULD now be lit. Then (pray a little, can't hurt) the Link LED should start twitchin'. To see for sure how you got on, type

$> iwconfig

You should see all the wireless info for wlan0. If not, and if you can't connect, show us the output from this command.

That should get you started. A lot to digest, but feel free to ask if anything is confusing.

Edited by Havin_it

Guest joshper

I have been wrestling with a completely new way of doing things (Linux) and ndiswraopper for about 15 hours. I have the same error message about version8 and 256. When I type "kwrite/lib/modules/modules.dep", it says no such file or directory.

Please could someone help me get this worked out?

Guest joshper

Thanks for the reply. With the help of the chat-room, I was able to fix this and configure it all.

In case anyone was wondering, I did: file / -name windiswrapper and then deleted every entry. (Note: I got 10 entries and 3 were "virtual" so couldn't be deleted: when I exited and then returned and ran find again, they were gone.) I then followed the install from scratch and it worked fine

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jay-dog

After three grueling days I finally got my linksys WPC 11 v. 4 card working with Mandrake 10.1. Thank you

very much for the post that I found in here. The problem that I had was I can never get a lease from my

router. The fix was to put "ndiswrapper" entry into /etc/modprobe.preload so that the module get loaded

first before the system tries to enable wireless card. Thank you very very much. If any of you guys need help

feel free to email me.

10.1 rocks !

Guys, I have previously got my netgear wg311v2 working under mdk 9 & 10, however the latest 10.1 have load the experimental acx111 driver from sourceforge project, and I think it cause config when I load up the windows driver with ndiswrapper, anyone got a wg311v2?

After three grueling days I finally got my linksys WPC 11 v. 4 card working with Mandrake 10.1. Thank you

very much for the post that I found in here. The problem that I had was I can never get a lease from my

router. The fix was to put "ndiswrapper" entry into /etc/modprobe.preload so that the module get loaded

first before the system tries to enable wireless card. Thank you very very much. If any of you guys need help

feel free to email me.

10.1 rocks !

Don't know why, but this bit has never worked for me. The card enables OK at boot, minus the kernel-panic I used to get if modprobing with the card already inserted, but wlan0 doesn't come up.

From looking at the boot-output, it doesn't even seem to try bringing it up (unlike eth0 which isn't even configured!).

Using Mandy 10.1OE, ndiswrapper 0.9.1 (preinstalled in OS), Belkin F5D7010 PCMCIA card, and yes I have done ndiswrapper -m

- Any ideas what could be wrong? I notice that Mandy also has a /etc/modules file as well as /etc/modprobe.preload - though it's empty!

EDIT - Ah, maybe if I tried changing ONBOOT=no to ONBOOT=yes in the ifcfg.

Yep, that's done it. :oops::jester::screwy::evilmod::banana:

PS - I did a dmesg | grep ndis check, and the preinstalled version is 0.8 so I guess 0.9.1 must have come along in my updates. Ah well, it works so I'll not bother doing all the removal stuff above - too lazy :zzz:

Edited by Havin_it

• 1 month later...
Guest immortality

i did modprobe ndiswrapper but i get an error saying Module ndiswrapper not found...this is the ndiswrapper installed from the CD's which 0.9-1mdk

for ndiswrapper -l it says that the hardware is present...

Guest Sartre756
Look in tips and tricks for the setup of this card with ndiswrapper.

Thanks Havin_it!!!

I just loaded Mandrake 10.1 on my laptp and then found out that there was no Linksys support for my WPC54G!

I found your post here, followed the directions to the letter, and it worked!

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...
$> iwconfig

You should see all the wireless info for wlan0. If not, and if you can't connect, show us the output from this command.

That should get you started. A lot to digest, but feel free to ask if anything is confusing.

So where do I go from here ? The iwconfig command shows me this:

[root@fakirlaaptop AR]# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"UiB"

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412GHz Access Point: 00:04:75:63:2C:4D

Bit Rate:11Mb/s

RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-37 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:3187 Missed beacon:0

But how do I start using my wireless connection ? I probably have to make some configuration files that starts the whole thing right ?

- Ice

Have you tried configuring the card in mcc?

Yes, and it works now :-) But I can't figure out how to best swich between either my eth0 or my wlan0? For instance my DNS settings get screwed whenever I use my wlan0 bacuase my wlan0 are dhcp and my eth0 are static. Any suggestions, how to switch between the two ?