Drivers for a Canon i320

YaAqoB

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with my i320. Been trying all possible to get it to work with Linux, but no success. What a pity, because its a really good unit under Win98. I have tried the Japanese ("pixus" instead of "i") Canon Linux drivers (Canon Japan), but they did not work either. I don't want to spend an extra €/$ 30 for Turbolinux drivers with unforeseeable result.

My antique (1989) HP Deskjet PLUS does not work with MDK either, although it is listed amongst the printer drivers in MDK 10.1.

regards, Helmut.

Hello Helmut.

I have just got an email from Canon who say that the linux drivers for the s300 should work and if it don't then the linux drivers from the i250 will work.

The link to the linux drivers for the i250 are here.

http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/c...50_drivers.html

If you have any luck let me know cause I have no idea how to install drivers. Still too used to windows :)

I have no idea what to do as there are heaps of linux files for this printer. So any instructions would be wicked.

Hope this helps you (& me)

Cya

Edited by YaAqoB

Guys, if you get a new printer, get a HP, they are awesome, there are 4 in this house of varying ages, they have all worked without a problem. My father has multiple ones at his office and they have all been awesome. One had a faulty bios chip and HP came and replaced it on site free the next day.

Support them, they make an effort and write Linux drivers,

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/

and their lasers are supported too

iphitus

Hi Germ, Turboprint does have i320 drivers, but the free versions produce one horrible "Turboprint" all across the page, cant use it for anything presentable. The commercially available and probably usable Turboprint drivers cost about 60% of the printer. Hate being robbed or ripped off, which is why I turned to Linux in the first place.

Hi Iphitus, Thanks for the advice mate! Yeah, my last printer was a HP Deskjet 600 but the cartridges always dried out and died in less than a month in park position. That became too bloody expensive.

The latest on the i320 drivers:

I got the drivers for the i250 from Canon Europe. They don't have Linux drivers for S300 or i320, same as Canon NZ.

Downloaded eight i250 drivers (7 + the manual) and dumped them onto CD. Shutdown Windows and booted Mandrake 10.1 Created folder /i250 and dumped the drivers there. I tried installing the two rpm's, but there were many unresolved dependencies. Resolved them with the mandrake install-CD, but many "bad signatures" turned up, and new "unresolved dependencies" popped up again.

I've been working on it for straight 24 hours, and now declare to have finally given up. I have absolutely had it, and only my wife's flowers on the windowsill prevented it from flying through the closed pane! A friend needing a Win-printer is now happy with that i320. Maybe someone else can try finding a solution for Linux.

Maybe this helps:

First look at the manual, particularly the pages "tutorial_01.htm" and "Guide_01000.htm (=Startup Guide, Installing BJ.Filter). Have MDK-install-CD ready and write down everything you do on paper. That way, you can retreat your steps in case of getting into a dead-end. Good luck, and thanks.

regards,

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

I have always gone with the HP line myself, and currently using the DeskJet 3820 in USB mode (an old dot matrix is on the parallel port). I have no problems with the cartridges drying out. What may have happened is that ink dried on the printhead, and the cartridges need cleaned.