wireless in mandrake 10.1 official - how?

Guest avimd

I would suggest getting the latest release from sourceforge instead of off the cd's

i've got the latest ndiswrapper (removed all the old references to it) via urpmi - before i try the sourceforge version, maybe its something to do with my access point - it's a belkin 802.11b , 11Mb/s

the card is a newer 802.11g , with a bit rate of 54mb/s

Is it possible that the intel 2200 802.11g card can't communicate with a 802.11b access point?

everything IS working - dmesg has no errors, ifup wlan0 works, ndiswrapper loads with no errors, drivers load up ok. in fact everything appears to work - i'm even seeing a blue signal in KWifiManager - but the darn card refuses to register with my access point.

STOP PRESS: There's a reference to Mandrake 10 specifically, on the ndiswrapper wiki pages:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...p/Distributions

Checking this out now.

Edited by kde-head

a lot of the instructions for configuring ifcfg-wlan0 refer to setting a KEY= entry

KEY="123456789A"

when you do iwconfig , you'll then see an entry

Encryption Key="1234-5678-9A" Security mode:restricted

Trouble is , my access point isn't encrypted (it's just in my house) - removing that key entry changes the iwconfig line above to

Encryption key: off

I'm at work right now, so i cant test this out, but it just may be the solution to my connection problems. i'll report back this evening (next hour or two) when i get home.

Trouble is , my access point isn't encrypted (it's just in my house) - removing that key entry changes the iwconfig line above to

I wish you lived next to me then I could get free internet through your wireless!

at home now.

didnt work. aaaaargh...

i've got the latest ndiswrapper installed (and even the wireless light on my laptop is on!)

here's my ifcfg-wlan0 - if there's something really obviously wrong , let us know

[my gateway is 192.168.1.1 - its a linux box upstairs with an ADSL plugged into it

[ aside: i have a Win XP laptop as well and that is wireless connected ok - so its not something to do with my network layout or something]

ifcfg-wlan0

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR= 192.168.1.45

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

ONBOOT=no

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

TYPE=Wireless

IPV6INIT=no

USERCTL=yes

PEERDNS=yes

RATE=Auto

CHANNEL=1

MODE=Managed

HWADDR=00:0e:35:7a:16:19

So close - i'm within a hairs breadth of getting this sorted out.

2 things

you don't have the ESSID name in there

and try auto for your chanel

and boy do you got alot of stuff in that file

here is the file i put on my girlfriends laptop for when she is here --- very short and very sweet

remember when first trying something "KISS" -- Keep It Simple Stupid -- works for me until I get something working good

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

ESSID=stayoffmynet

MODE=Managed

it works great and she has no prob whatsoever connecting

i might have figured it out - anytime i do iwconfig, it shows the card as being a 802.11G card - it's using the 802.11G protocol.

my base station is 802.11b

how can i force it to use 802.11b?

the specs for the intel 2200 BG says its both b and g compatible.

2 things

you don't have the ESSID name in there

and try auto for your chanel

and boy do you got alot of stuff in that file

here is the file i put on my girlfriends laptop for when she is here --- very short and very sweet

remember when first trying something "KISS" -- Keep It Simple Stupid -- works for me until I get something working good

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

ESSID=stayoffmynet

MODE=Managed

it works great and she has no prob whatsoever connecting

ifup wlan0 on that config just results in it trying to find the dhcp server on my network and stalling.

i cant seem to change the IEEE thing in iwconfig - it says "802.11g" - while my base station is 802.11b - any way to force this to 802.11b?

you can't use my config --- it will look for a network with my ESSID

you need to add your ESSID to your file otherwise it is looking for an open network

I am using a Dlink router and the ESSID is actually shown as SSID but it's the same thing

ESSID is your network name