MDK 10.1 DVD

Guest amaupin

Guest amaupin

I am interested in using the 10.1 DVD but I am not sure about how the installation works. Has anyone tried to install from DVD? What is the method? Is the DVD bootable?

I updated from 10 to 10.1 using the DVD. It was incredible. I simply put in the DVD and rebooted my computer. Everything from that point on was just like a normal mandrake install. Except that I did not have ot swap disks.

Not to state the obvious, but you have to have a DVD rom drive in order for this to work.

Guest davegod75
I updated from 10 to 10.1 using the DVD. It was incredible. I simply put in the DVD and rebooted my computer. Everything from that point on was just like a normal mandrake install. Except that I did not have ot swap disks.

Not to state the obvious, but you have to have a DVD rom drive in order for this to work.

where do i find the DVD image to download? Is it only available to club members?

Guest davegod75
The dvd is the powerpack, which I believe is available for gold club members to download; but other than that it is only available for purchase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

that's no good. one of the reasons i bought this dvd burner was so the I would not have to burn 4 cds with every new distro. Why doesn't mandrake offer the dvd.iso for download like other distro's do?

Guest Adriano

What you can do, just as I did, is buy a DVD-RW and burn all the packages from your 4 mandrake linux CDs (maybe from updates, too). You can't use it for installations, but for everyday use it's great to have everything in a single DVD. Plus, you can just rewrite it when the next version of Mandrake comes out.

Actually, you can create your own bootable dvd from the cd iso images that you have access to.

See also:

http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebHome

unfortunately the twiki is not fully back yet -- I can get you the correct page as soon as it's up again - just pm me if necessary.

Lastly: the iso image is available to Silver members and to VIP members (incl yours truly).

BTW please tell me what other distro's offer dvd isos for download?

I'd be interested in testing / reviewing some.other distros.

Guest davegod75
Actually, you can create your own bootable dvd from the cd iso images that you have access to.

See also:

http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebHome

unfortunately the twiki is not fully back yet -- I can get you the correct page as soon as it's up again - just pm me if necessary.

Lastly: the iso image is available to Silver members and to VIP members (incl yours truly).

BTW please tell me what other distro's offer dvd isos for download?

I'd be interested in testing / reviewing some.other distros.

namely fedora

Guest Adriano

I've been testing the method mentioned forcreating a Mandrake DVD from the tree. The instructions are incomplete: you _must_ delete not only the files you don't want (such as hdlist.contrib.cz in my case, but also the reference to them in the file isolinux/media/media_info/hdlists (at least). Otherwise the installer will tell you it can't find those hdlist files _after_ you have formatted your root partition during the installation. Cue reinstalling another mandrake from scratch. Something you really don't want.

Suggestion: test the dvd first in some free space before nuking everything.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also buy the mandrake DVD, with all the powerpack goodness for $9.00 over at http://www.cheapbytes.com

I did, just finished installing, and I can honestly say, it was the best system instalation experience I've ever had, and having all the rpms on one DVD is a God send.

If you have any hesitations, forget them. It's worth it.