Boost game performance with nitro kernel patches

DOlson

If you're into compiling kernels, I recommend you grab the nitro patchset from http://www.sepi.be/nitro.php and patch a kernel with them.

Seriously, I had doubts that this could help much, but I can now actually play the Doom 3 demo and I'm told that UT2004 plays smoothly as well. And I don't have very advanced hardware, and Doom 3 was very very choppy before I patched with this.

You do need to know what you're doing as far as kernels go, but it's really quite worth it.

This was a patch that came out of the Gentoo community I believe, but I'm running it on Debian just fine (only one small issue with XMMS sometimes skipping, but I'm just using RhythmBox until I resolve it).

The XMMS/BMP issues are caused by the ck patches, which are included as a part of the nitro patches. I haven't found a solution yet, but gaming improves a lot using these patches.

This is great, can't wait to try it this afternoon! Doom 3 is also very choppy for me. I hate to have to say this: but it ran better in Cedega than it does natively, which is POOR AFAIK.

So I'll give these a go when I finally manage to leave work.

Let me know how it goes. It sure felt smoother to me, and I don't think it's a placebo effect... Try out UT2K3/UT2K4 too, if you have them.

• 1 month later...
Guest diabolix

it definitely is not the placebo effect, i ran the time demo, originally 32 fps (high detail, 1024x746), after i switched back to OSS rather than ALSA, upgraded to nitro 2.6.8.1 (from 2.4.1) it went up to 45 fps. an incredible difference. i switched to oss because doom 3 had issues with my alsa modules after using the nitro patch. so rather than emulate oss, i just switched back. it seems like everything runs smoother in oss anyways. and no problems with xmms. to do a comparison, i did a fresh install of windows xp and it only did 42. its possible for me to get it up do 60 with optimizing my graphix card and disabling services, but MS never told me to do that, so i don't think that it would be fair to. MS wants everything to be left as is and work out of box, so i shouldn't do them the honor of optimizing my install. and is it just me, or does doom 3 look better in linux? probably because i don't have the option of turning down video quality in nvidia-settings like it gave me when i played it in windows, maybe its because i want linux to be better. but it just feels better playing it in linux, another step in the downfall of the empire!

I've been using these too for a while and the performance increase is awesome. I dont use xmms more nor bmp, ive been using mpd & mpc www.musicpd.org the mpd, plays the music and maintains a library, of everything and your frontend of choice controls it. I prefer gmpc. The way it maintains playlists and the library is awesome.

iphitus

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i agree with the above (i use linux....who cares which distro.).

however, on my machine

P4 3 GHz intel I875 chipset

1024 Mb ram

soundblaster live

80 Gb Maxtor hdd

40 Gb Seagate

nvidia MX4000 (ugh)

Mandriva LE2005

k2.6.11-12

Doom3 for Linux runs MUCH better!!

Thank You idsoftware

p.s. this may be slightly off topic...sorry