XPDE

repdeck

I need to install XPde for my parents on their computer so that they can use Mandrake Linux(Which I installed ofr them). THe problem is they have no clue how to use KDE and need something alot closer to Windows. I decided on XPde becuase I could find any better ones. I don't know how to install it and need a lot of help installing it on Mandrake 10.0.

i never used it but from the information i found on the web, it seems to be an ordinary tarball-file. thus you simply have to extract the file in the users directory and compile it. just open a terminal, type su, then the root password and run "./configure", "make" and "make install". you might add some prefix to the install path, if you want. after that, simply start the executable file and it should guide you through the rest of the setup, i guess.

question: does it need to be added to the login-manager manually? (e.g.kdm) if yes, look for some howtows on that one and if you need further help, post your questions here and tell us what you have done so far, what is working and what ain't work.

good luck :thumbs: