10.1 freezes Thinkpad T42 on boot, multiple ways!

Guest nickbower

Guest nickbower

I submitted this to the Linux Thinkpad mailing list today. 10.1 is a complete joke for IBM Thinkpads. It failed to format Reiser partitions during install, forcing me into choosing ext3 if I wanted to make headway. Then it hung on all supplied 2.6 kernels (removal of nolapic seemed to fix is briefly), and now it hangs on boot loading up netprofile. But this is after a couple of system hangs when I momentarily had a working system.

10.0 with a custom 2.6.8.1 kernel worked absolutely fine for me. 10.1 is a pile of you know what. I'm super disappointed.

----------

To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org

Subject: Wanring - don't install 10.1 on a thinkpad

This weekend I made a very poor decision to install Mandrake 10.1 on a T42 - I thought it would be low risk becuase Mandrake 10 + 2.6.8.1 patched kernel worked unbelievably well.

However all supplied 2.6 kernels supplied hung on boot - much effort later and removing the nolapic option stopped it hanging. Momentarily I had a bootable system. However after I configured my network interface, randomly an hour later a system hang forced a reboot. And now again I am locked out because the thing locks up on starting netprofile early in the boot process.

So don't go near 10.1 if you have a thinkpad and expect a working system after. I can't even boot in failsafe mode to download a new kernel right now. What a joke. Well done Mandrake!!

nick

Guest nickbower

Found out what was causing most hangs - the darn ipw wireless drivers. They'd hang the system at various intervals during bootup, fooling me into thinking it was the services that were loading.

Removed the IPW* drivers and it's a little more stable.

Still some shocking bugs in 10.1 official.

What the hell happened to 10.1 Official Mandrake??? And I renewed my silver membership for this crap.

• 1 month later...
Found out what was causing most hangs - the darn ipw wireless drivers.  They'd hang the system at various intervals during bootup, fooling me into thinking it was the services that were loading.

Removed the IPW* drivers and it's a little more stable.

Still some shocking bugs in 10.1 official.

What the hell happened to 10.1 Official Mandrake???  And I renewed my silver membership for this crap.

have the same problem - ipw (Intel PRO/Wireless 2220BG) wireless card in my brand new HP Nx9030 laptop too. sometimes it freezes on "checking for new hardware" , other times on "netprofile".

how do you remove the IPW* drivers completely? I'm going to use ndiswrapper instead.

removed the modules from /lib/modules... and firmware from /usr/lib/firmware (but there is a package for this)

ipw module is referenced in /ib/modules/module.dep - there's a whole series of refs to

a 3rdparty/ipw2200 directory.

/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ipw2200.ko.gz

/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ipw2200/ieee80211.ko.gz

i'd rather remove it safely via urpmi - any idea what the package is?

UPDATE: found it - it's in the kernel-2.6.8.1-12mdk-1-1.mdk package.

without having to roll my own kernel, i suppose i just edit modules.dep and remove all refs to ipw2200????

Edited by kde-head

Guest nickbower

i removed the entire ipw directory and reran depmod -a. This is essentially the same as compiling your own kernel without these modules right? i've had no problems with this since.