Problem with Lexmark ,Gzip.

Pepse

I downloaded some Lexmark/Linux software and when trying to unzip it I get an error of: ERROR ARK

Gzip archives need to have the extension 'gz' .

I know I have unzipped some other stuff before with no probs, but this time I get that error. This download ain't too important because I am trying to cheat. The printer is actually a Compaq, but looks like a Lexmark Z33. I do plan to get a Lexmark Z35 Photocapable printer, but if my problem is actually in my system then that other printer ain't gonna work. Ideas?

Later. Pepse.

Compaq printers _are_ lexmark printers in disguise. those sneaky bastards.......

as for your problem, make sure the file ends in .gz-if not, you need to use a different unzip utility :) if it does, try downloading it again...you may have gotten a bad one.

I looked at the file again and it does end with tar.gz . But, yeah I know that Lexmark & Kodak and Compaq are the same, it's just that there is no Linux software on Compaq's site and after I looked at the printer archives in MCC the model I have ain't listed. The Compaqs they do have show the Lexmark driver to use. But this IJ650 doesn't come up even in most stores when looking for ink refills. Walmart has a LXMK Z33 with digital camera, and that is how I figured it should be the same. Plus the ink carts are Lexmark.

Anyway I will download that software again and see what happens.

Later. Pepse.

did you have the printer plugged in and turned on during the install? just curious-mandrake _should_ have detected it, i believe...

although guessing what model it is from the way it looks is always a bit risky :) anywho...good luck and if you get any further and find a resolution post it here for others who might be having the same trouble :)

Yeah, I had it plugged in because MDK recognised it as a Compaq. Yeah, I know it is a gamble on guessing, but I got this printer at a 2nd hand store for $5.00. And looking around the printer case I found that it was made in Aug., 01. The reason for the former owner to get rid of it would be the fact that it ran out of ink and it is cheaper to buy another cheap printer than to replace the carts. I see this alot in 2nd hand stores. I have seen this alot lately. So, if it don't work on Linux I know it will work on whine-doze. And yes if this does work, or not, I will post.

Later. Pepse.

I downloaded that printer software again and I still get the same message: ERROR ARK Gzip archives need to have the extension 'gz' . So, then I went to TUCOWS to download anything with a tar.gz and I downloaded McAfee antivirus and when I went to open it up I got this message: ERROR ARK I can't fork a decompressor . Then I went to MCC to download the software for GZ and it stated that the software is already in my system. Then I downloaded Opera 6.1.1 and when I clicked on that file it gave me the contents of the files and the only 2 I could access ended in 'sh' . I did click on the install.sh and it did some things and whatever it opened I have no idea where it went.

Later. Pepse.

OK, I got it. It's all in the system. Of course the printer still won't work, BUT I was trying to cheat like I did in whine-doze. Turns out that Linux is smarter. I was trying to get a Compaq printer that is a copy of the Lexmark Z33 to work; except that Compaq uses a different chip that dosen't recognize Linux. But, once again I got a tutorial for future reference.

Thanx again.

Later. Pepse.