A couple Questions about my laptop

Guest pinecone

Guest pinecone

First, I have an internal wireless(802.11b) card and i am unable to use it. At first it would stop my computer from booting, but i use interactive startup and did not startup the LAN and then disabled it. So, i was just wondering if there is a way i can configure it to work or can it never work.

Second, I was wondering if there is a way i can hibernate(save ram to harddrive and power off) in Linux. This would be helpful because Linux takes a while to boot and i have to do it a lot when running on battery. hibernating allow me to power off without having to go throught the long booting process every time.

First, I have an internal wireless(802.11b) card and i am unable to use it. At first it would stop my computer from booting, but i use interactive startup and did not startup the LAN and then disabled it. So, i was just wondering if there is a way i can configure it to work or can it never work.

which wireless card did you get? did you wait for about 5+ minutes and see if it came back with any response-such as eth0 initialization failed? If it can't get an IP (assuming you are doing DHCP) it will hang at this point in the startup for a good while before giving up (failing) and continuing on through the startup.

Guest pinecone

Thanks Tyme, i was using DHCP, that was probebly the problem. that is ok i guess. i will try using it when i am at a network.

pmpatrick, if i set up options in my bios for hibernate, then what do i do to hibernate?

Guest dahvaio

I have a VAIO R505DL and it uses ACPI. I had to patch a vanilla 2.4.20 Kernel with ACPI and SWSUSP to get my laptop to suspend. If your laptop uses APM I believe you can suspend normally(?)

You should have function keys to suspend....

I have a Sony VIAO Z505. In my bios setup, under the Power tab, I can set several options one of which is having the system hibernate on closing the lid. This works fine for me. I don't know if you have the same options in your setup, but if you do I would reccomend using the bios rather than ACPI which I found to be problematic

Guest pinecone

i tried apm suspend and the pwer didnt even go all the way off, the light was blinking like it was just on standby. Then, when i turned it on it didnt work and i just had to reboot. I will look for info about ACPI and SWSUSP.