KDE freezes

Guest pinecone

Guest pinecone

I have had KDE freeze on me before and when that happens i cant click on anything or do anything. I was wondering if there is a keyboard command i can use to do anything that would get it working. So far my only solution is to press the power button and reboot.

usually a ctrl+alt+backspace (i think that's the command) will restart the X-server, you'll have to login again, but atleast you won't have to reboot.

the other option is to do ctrl+alt+F1 to go to a virtual terminal (is that what it's called?), login as root, do a

ps -fu root

and look for the X process, then kill it

kill [process ID (PID) here]

i think there's a better way than ps -fu root, but i don't remember it...

Raising Skinny Elephants is Utterly Boring

By pressing Left ctrl-Sysrq- and the first capital letter of this saying above can shut down your box safely without crashing it.

R puts the keyboard in raw mode. I've read that you might try ctrl-alt-backspace after this to see if the x server will reboot.

The other letters do things, essential things, wonderful things, but I can't remember what they are! :? I think S syncs the server data base, B means boot, but it is the stuff linux does to shut down. I have used it and it works, even when I try to break my box. :lol:

(Fat elephants are not all that interesting either.)