New To Linux

pixiestix1103

ChrisM, if there is terminology or concept you don't know or don't understand even if its been explained, start a new thread on just that term or concept. We wil edicate you :) (did you know that edicate only has one D? :) )

Huh?

what-cha-talkin-bowt? terminology/concept - my post?

Think u got the wrong guy officer :oops: :P

Edited by ChrisM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also downloaded a "windows MD5 sum generator", also something else that was mentioned in one of the posts. i havent figured out what it does yet, but i thought that i might need it, so i got one of those too.  :cheesy: i will google it. when i am done downloading, i will tell you what happens...  :P

Not sure how a 'windows' MD5 sum generator exactly works, but, esentially, the site where you downloaed your iso's should also have an MD5 checksum. You'll check against this to make sure you have a good download.

On the web site there will be a file and each iso will have an associated string of numbers.

When you have completed your download/s run your MD5 sum generator to ensure the string of numbers match.

Some folk will say you'll only need to check the first 4 or 5 and the last 4 or 5 in each string.

If your MD5s are Ok - burn em n install em :lol:

Edited by ChrisM

ChrisM: i believe the program is called "windows MD5 sum generator" or something like that, but i checked it out last night, and there is a "MD5 checksum" button on there. i understand about the string of numbers; they are listed on the website, and when i get off work, i will check to make sure the numbers match up. :banana: i have already downloaded the 3 cds from the website, and i will burn them to a cd some time today. :cheesy:

should i burn all three on one cd, or separately? i figured that there would be a prompt asking for the second cd, so i was just going to do them separately.

right now, they are just files on my desktop. i have tryed to open them, but it keeps saying i am unable to view iso images (.iso file extentions), so i will have to figure out why not... :D

You'll find that your iso's will take up almost 700MB - individually - so you'll not be able to burn them all onto 1 CD.

Just burn em 1 at a time. BUT you'll need to burn the iso as an iso image - and not a file. The option will be there in your software somewhere.

A few weeks back I'd not done this - I bought my first set of CDs from mandrake. Couple weeks ago I downloaded and burned MDK 10. It's pretty straightforward as long as you remember to burn as iso's you'll be fine.

Here an FAQ about iso's Search this board, i'm sure there will be more stuff too.

Good luck. Nearly there now :thumbs: (576 + views and 48 replies, the world is holding its breath now - no going back :P )

Oh, BTW - burn your images on the slowest speed option available, to help reduce any errors.

Edited by ChrisM

"Good luck. Nearly there now (576 + views and 48 replies, the world is holding its breath now - no going back)"

Oh that is so sweet! :woops: and i definitely appreciate it... so much. nope, i am really excited, and when i get off work at 5:00, the fun begins... i am not really too worried about breaking anything anymore- as many people as there has been that have replied, i would much rather break it then to not attempt. plus+ a lot of the people replying say that it is quite fun to break their computer, so hey, if it happens, it happens.... B)

"there has been that have replied, i would much rather break it then to not attempt. plus+ a lot of the people replying say that it is quite fun to break their computer, so hey, if it happens, it happens....  B)

Yes! That's the ticket. Welcome to Geek! :cheeky:

i have been trying for the past couple hours to burn the .iso images to cds, but i keep getting errors. i dont understand what is wrong, but i am about to head over to amazon.com and just buy the boxed version. i was really trying to get it to burn, and then to read, but it is just driving me crazy. i tryed with roxio easy cd creator, but i kept getting the message that my cd drive was not supported. come to find out, on the roxio website, i am definitely not the only one with that problem. hopefully, the software will come in soon, and i can do an easy install. i dont have the time to troubleshoot tonight... :evilmod: i will try to fix it tomorrow....

:offtopic: ok, i was just wondering something aRTee... i dont have an IBM, i have a dell, but i rarely ever turn my computer off. i work for a BIG health insurance company in the US, and our IT department tells us to NEVER shut our computers off. to get to the point, i dont shut the one i have at home off either cause from what i understand, it gives my computer a better change to aquire viruses. i dont know if this is true, but this is "my" first computer, and i thought that that was what i was supposed to do. if you can tell me different, that would be great, cause i never understand why i would need to keep my computer turned on and running at all times. i would hate to one day have to restart for something, and then realize that i am never going to be able to turn it back on. i guess this is a crazy question, but it caught my eye... do you always keep yours running?  :thanks:

viruses? what are those? :P

Edited by arthur

Artee, I have no problems using proprietary software. If I could afford Maya Complete for Linux or one of the other high end 3D CGI apps that come in a Linux version, I would go for it.

Partition Commander/System Commander Personal Edition is not expensive, and more importantly, System Commander does not use a special partition like Boot Magic. There are only 2 differences between System Commander and SCPE: number of OSes, and SCPE is limited to booting OSes only from Primary Partitions. I do all of my partitioning with Partition Commander, and use SCPE for my boot manager.

I do NOT pirate software and hate those that do!

This is the link to VCOM's website: http://www.v-com.com/

Mandrake Linux recognizes the System Commander MBR and defaults to 'install bootloader to first sector of the root partition', instead of to the MBR.

I love SCPE, cause when some goes screwy with Windows and I have to reinstall it, I don't have to rescue Lilo or Grub (as the case may be). All I need to do, is install Partition commander and have it activate SCPE during the install, and I have my Linux back.

I use Partition Commander, cause I don't trust diskdrake.

Sorry ChrisM, I meant Pixiestix :drum:

I don't recommend the Partition Magic or System Commander approach. Costs money and doesn't really do anything that you can' just do with Mandakes DiskDrak. Additionally, you are adding another element where something can go wrong with the partition table (if they don't all agree on the layout of the partition table, you can say good bye to it)

Pixie, after download, did you actually run a checksum program on the ISO image? This checksum program is called md5sum and when they originally create the ISO file at Mandrake, they run the program against the CD and it produces a number. They publish the number to you and you can run the md5sum program against the ISO and make sure its EXACTLY identical to what they made.

This is useful in case your download session screwed up and missed a few bytes :)

Anytime someone has problems burning a CD, this is where we start asking questions. If you need the program for windows do a google for WINDOWS and MD5SUM. You also need to go to the Mandrake site and get the checksum file (same page you downloaded the ISO images from).