New To Linux

pixiestix1103

hey guys,

i need some help. i am about to make the transition from windows to linux, and to tell you the truth, i am pretty frustrated. for the past year, i have attempted to do tons of research on open source software; how it works, what is different about it- basically everything, and now that i have actually bought mandrakelinux, i still feel like i am not ready. i am computer savvy somewhat, but linux is bugging me out. i dont understand most of the terminology on the websites that i have been looking at for information and tutorials. i just dont know where to look. i dont just want a manual, i want something that will explain to me what is really going on. this is my first year of college, and i am majoring in computer science, but we havent even began to touch on programming languages or anything even close to some of the stuff that i am reading on these websites. if anyone could give me links, or recomendations for books, or anything, it would be greatly appreciated. with most of the websites i have looked at, users are very secretive with their information, and will not give help to a newbie like me. i am a wannabe, and no one has the time... i have had a recommendation for this site, so any info is appreciated... thanks and feel free to IM or email...

pixiestix1103@yahoo.com

pixiestix1103 on yahoo messenger

Jessica - 19 - Georgia

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest thing would be to install that copy of mandrake and ask in here when specific problems crops up - I'm sure you'll be fine, i don't feel that linux is a scary operating system any more if you're using something like mandrake.

You definitely don't need to know anything about programming - its mainly clicking on the right button, just like windows.

good luck,

fissy

First of alll relax, linux, and Mandrake especially, are not different or difficult. If your in doubt about your ability to use linux try starting with a CD based distro I think mandrake has one called mandrake move (somebody correct me if I got the name wrong) this will give you a ready to use install of linux and you will not have to alter your current configuration. In linux as in M$ Windows a email is a email and the web browsers all browse the same web so they are not that different. Take it slow theres no time limit on learning new things if you try to rush you'll only get frustrated and quit. You made the right choice in Mandrake though. Good luck and have fun.

if you're real nervous, find an old machine and install it on there.

as far as terminology....google it. you can find most ofit out there.

if you're looking to install for the first time, mandrake is one to choose to do it with.

good luck.

Like the others have said...relax. There is no reason to be intimidated by what you have read. Don't worry about the programming thing. The most "programming" I've ever done in 'nix is writing some script files to make my life easier.....scripts are pretty much the same level as dos batch files...no real programming.....Well, mine are anyway.

The way I started out (and still run my main computer this way today) is by dual booting Linux & Windows. That way I had the safety net of going back to Win to get something done if I couldn't get it sorted in Linux. This kept my frustration level to a minimum. The more I learned Linux the less I had to boot back to Windows to get something done. If I needed something done quick...I booted into windows to get it done. Later, when I had time, I made a point to sit down & figure out how to do it in Linux. Now I am at the point where I rarely boot into windows....only do it for a few games (this is improving since Cedega makes it so easy to run GTA Vice City) & the occasional video editing (a 5hr conversion to SVCD that I let my Win boot do while I am at work or sleeping).

Another thing to think about is to make frequent backups of your Linux partition(s)....because you will break it learning. I use Acronis True Image, but there are others out there. You will learn alot more if you aren't worried about breaking your system. Nothing beats knowing that you can try anything. If you completely trash your system you can just boot from a CD and restore from a backup file in about 15-20 minutes. Break it, try to fix it. If all else fails, restore from your backup.

Final tip..lurk around this site & www.justlinux.com. Almost all of my problems have been solved in these two places....most of the time by just using the search function in the forums. It seems like someone else has had every problem I've had & I can usually find a solution without posting a question. Pretty soon you will find other posts that you can help out on....so give back by answering others that are where you have been.

That's my 2 cents....Take it for what it's worth & I hope it helps. Stop researching & start installing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :banana: :P Just make sure you have fun with it.

Edited by Bam

i dont just want a manual, i want something that will explain to me what is really going on. this is my first year of college, and i am majoring in computer science, b

Boy can I relate to that, It's the one thing that really bugs me. I bought the mandrake manual which is pretty useless for a novice. Then again you have to learn windows anyway, the difference being you can get manuals to help you. But I only got to where I am with windows cos you get plenty practice with it when it crashes. It is only this week I discovered there were web sites I could go to to obtain corrupted files and look for fixes.

I still almost nothing about linux but in one respect it is exactly like windows yoiu have to stick it on your computer and use it to learn. The difference is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. At least if you are doing computer science there should be plebty of people around to help you if you screw up. If they don't know about linux they won't have much of a career in IT. people who are not interested per se don't last long.

This forum is good, not too patronising apart from the odd pimple that replies RTFM to which you should reply FOAPWYYTW and somebody else will help you.

Another thing to think about is to make frequent backups of your Linux partition(s)....because you will break it learning.

Some others here say the same, but here I disagree. I have never made a backup of a linux system (just of important user data).

You learn most from repairing and improving a system that you somehow managed to break.

But in any case, that will come later, first get around to installing Linux.

I wrote my website for you (and others like you), so give it a read, and then give it a go.

Edited by aRTee

Thanks guys, I really feel so much better about the decision that I have made. I am glad that there are other people out there who understand where I am coming from.

Again, thanks everyone, and when I get good, I will be sure to help out the scaried people who posted to the forum like I did. :drum:

Oh...One more thing, I am looking to get Mandrake PowerPack 10.1... is that not a good one for beginners? The product description says that it appeals to advanced users... will it not be appropriate for a novice? :deal:

I have used Mandrake Powerpack since 7.0 and have only tried SuSE 9.0 Pro (equivalent to powerpack). Coming from the MSDOS/Windows world, it took me a while to get up enough courage to attempt to install Linux for the first time.

The first teething problems will be Hardware related. One or more things won't work or work properly in Linux. Sometimes all you need to do is edit a configuration file.

Once it is installed and everything important is working, you will find Mandrake Linux is SO easy to use, that it will grow on you.

Anyways, welcome to the forums, and have fun learning and using Mandrake Linux.

pixiestix1103,

if you still haven't taken the plunge, why don't you start by telling us what hardware you are going to install it on?

And to join the chorus, yes 10.1 pwp is fine, for beginners and advanced users who don't want to waste time fiddling too much.

I'm an ex-beginner myself and don't care to go for a more hardcore distribution for several reasons, lack of time and desire being two of them.. :P