Screen resolution in MDK 9.0

Guest Steve1

Hi folks,

When I try to change screen resolution (Mandrake Control Center > Hardware > Resolution ) I get a pop up window saying "The modifications done in this module will not be saved" I have a choice of "OK" or "cancel". Either way the results are the same. I can't adjust screen resolution.

Any suggestions?

If you are comfortable in console (non gui) and editing files in console you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or XF86Config (whichever you're using). You can edit it in X but will have to restart X for the change to take effect. I mentioned being comfortable in console mode in case X does not start after your changes, so that you can change it back.

Look for the line

DefaultColorDepth 16

then look below for

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

I honestly don't know how it chooses resolutions. The First one listed maybe? But if you only had one, X would have to attempt use it.

xserver tries the listed resolutions in order and stops at the first one it can use. You can use keyboard combos to see what resolutions you can do. Ctrl-Alt- "+" key cycles through the resolutions low to high, and Ctrl-Alt- "-" key cycles through from high to low.

You should be able to set the res in control center. Are you logging in as root? If you tell it to "Ignore" when prompted for the root password, any changes you make will not be written to the config file.

Guest Steve1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm finding that I can't save any of the changes I make in contol center. I get the same message. I'm asked for the password. I enter it. Everything seems ok. I just can't make the changes stick. I even tried a reinstall but I have the same problem.

So I guess the problem isn't the screen resolution. It's something to do with my setup, maybe?

Any suggestions welcome. By the way, I'm a complete beginner. Fairly experienced with Windows but new to linux.

I know this sounds lame but...when I start up, it just starts. I don't log in as anything. How do I make sure I'm logged in as root?

First, open a terminal like konsole, xterm, or rxvt. Type

su-[Enter}>enter the root password [Enter}>XFdrake --expert --noauto [Enter] (case sensitive), then change the resolution.

{bvc9 10:46 PM bvc9}>su

Password: 

{root 10:46 PM bvc9}>XFdrake --expert --noauto

You might take into consideration your video card/driver and possible limitations with XFree86. If you are using the default drivers from the install CD's, google and search for a newer or diff driver, you may have better luck.

I know this sounds lame but...when I start up, it just starts. I don't log in as anything. How do I make sure I'm logged in as root?
That's what we call autologin. You have 3 other choices.

Either in a terminal as root type mcc [Enter], or from your menu open the Mandrake Control Center and enter the root password, the go to

Boot>Boot Config;

1.If you uncheck "Launch the graphical environment when the system starts", you'll boot to a DOS like mode/terminal/console, where you can login as a user or root. Then type startx (everything in linux is case sensitive) to go to X (gui).

2. Install Xtart either with the Software Manager in mcc, or in a terminal as root type urpmi Xtart. When you've booted to console and login, instead of typing startx, type Xtart to get a list of gui's to go into X.

3.If you check "Launch the graphical environment when the system starts" and tick "Yes, I want autologin with this user" you'll get what you've got.

4.If you check "Launch the graphical environment when the system starts" and tick "No, I don't want autologin", you get a gui login, either KDM or GDM (most likely KDM) to take you to X.

So I guess the problem isn't the screen resolution. It's something to do with my setup, maybe?
Don't know? What video card do you have anf what did you choose at install? Default drivers? Sometimes it could be as little as the monitor/resolution you chose at install. try a few variations.

• 4 weeks later...

There are two OK's you have to do before it does not give you a warning. Are you overlooking those at the bottom of the screen?

If you are in a low resolution those ok buttons might not be visible. Use alt-click anywhere on the window to move it up to get to those buttons.