Mandrakelinux 10 on HP/COMPAQ Presario 2514AT

kagashe

Hi,

Let me clarify in the begining that I am not a software professional. I am a general user of the PCs.

I bought HP/COMPAQ Presario 2500 series (2514AT) with customized CDs of Mandrakelinux 9.1 for my machine. So I installed it without any problem and it is working without any problem.

I examined the Mandrakelinux site and found that 10 was the latest official version (now 10.1). So I got the CDs for Mandrakelinux 10. I tried to update/instal and it is not working. When I click on F1 and try something I get the error Kernel something (I don't remeber the word).

Then I found that Laptop are special machines and they require customised solution. Even the Mandrakelinux 9.1 CDs could not be used (without customisation) on my machine.

I would like to have all the help to install Mandrakelinux 10 on my machine if possible.

By the way I have tried to upgrade some packages putting the Mandrakelinux 10 CDs as sources in Mandrake Control Centre and I get the following error messages:

Some packages failed to install correctly.

Some config files were created as .rpmnew or .rpmsave. You may now inspect to take action.

initscripts-7.06-49mdk:/etc/inittab

initscripts-7.06-49mdk:/etc/sysctl.conf

pam-0.77-12mdk:/etc/pam.d/system-auth

When I shutdown the machine I could not reboot to KDE and I had to make the fresh install of Mandrakelinux 9.1 from original CDs.

Kamalakar

Thanks for responding. I tried the install again. If I don't press F1 and press enter the installation does not proceed beyond the first screen, so I start it again and press F1.

I tried many things suggested but the one which seems to proceed a little is as follows:

I type linux mem=128M

So many things start appearing and all seems well except the last few lines before it hangs.

The last one is as follows:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram3.

The last but one (before Kernel panic) is as follows:

BIOS EDD facility v0.13 2004-Mar-09 1 devices found

Please report your BIOS at http://linux.dell.com/edd/results.html

I went to the above URL (at dell.com) but could not make out anything.

Kamalakar

Hi,

I was serching all over the net to read about how other people have installed Mandrake Linux (any version) on their Laptops. Finally I could install. This is how?

I inserted CD 2 (instead of CD 1) to boot. After some time there was a message that it was not the correct CD. So I removed and inserted CD1 AND the installation started but it got stuck up after asking language and accepting the license.

The message on the window was as follows:

Please wait

Installing driver for bus/firewire card Texas Instruments--------------------------

The installation was hanging there.

Then I serched the net for installation of this driver and got advice to type the following after pressing F1.

linux noauto nofirewire

Now this time I inserted CD1, pressed F1 and typed "linux noauto nofirewire" and pressed "enter".

The entire installation was smooth. Since Mandrakelinux 9.1 was loaded on my PC I have chosen to "upgrade" and not install.

Kamalakar

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am once again adding to my post after more than 5 months.

I found that acpi was not working when I used "Upgrade" option to install Mandrakelinux 10 over 9.1.

Then I used the "install" option with same procedure. This time also there was some difficulty with acpi but somehow I resolved it.

Subsequently I could not use my LAN card (due to improper choice of the driver) so I "reinstalled" the Mandrake Linux 9.1 from CDs given by HP.

Now after nearly 6 months I decided to "Upgrade" once again to Mandrakelinux 10.

This time I have chosen the LAN driver correctly so LAN is working.

Now I have to sort this acpi problem. It seems to me that Mandrakelinux 10 has Kernel 2.6.* which searches for acpi in /usr/proc whereas Mandrakelinux 9.1 has no such path.

When I start the machine if I chose "old linux" instead of "linux" when it boots the old kernel 2.4.* getrs loaded and acpi works fine.

If I chose "linux" at boot the new kernel 2.6.* gets loaded but acpi does not work.

It seems to me that I have to modify some config files so that kernel 2.6.* has the right path for acpi.

I have done some reading on "How to" sites and understand that kernel 2.4.* had some kind of patch to make acpi work. It seems to me that HP has supplied this patch so it is working.

When I am upgrading from Mandrakelinux 9.1 to 10 it is possible that acpi remains where it is, therefore, it is not working with kernel 2.6.*

Hope to get a solution on this forum.

Kamalakar

Edited by kagashe

Hi,

I have solved the acpi problem. It was very simple.

In the lilo.config file I changed acpi=ht to acpi=on.

I have once again done "Install" (instead of upgrade) of Mandrakelinux 10 official successfully.

The LAN is working fine. acpi is working.

Kamalakar

Hi,

Have you got any problem during the installation of MDK 10.0 ?

I haved mandrake 9.1 installed on my laptop Compaq Armada 100S and it's the best OS for that laptop

I had problems to install the new applications versions and stopped it

I never could install the mandrake 10.0 on this laptop or my other PC's

I have keyboard & mouse freezing stiff at any step during the installation or afterwards without any messages

so I went to suse & I am very happy with it

I wonder if I should try mandriva 10.1 ?

I would be happy to use again Mandriva which was my first Linux OS to operate safely

Edited by jeanrev

Hi,

Have you got any problem during the installation of MDK 10.0 ?

I haved mandrake 9.1 installed on my laptop Compaq Armada 100S and it's the best OS for that laptop

I had problems to install the new applications versions and stopped it

I never could install the mandrake 10.0 on this laptop or my other PC's

I have keyboard & mouse freezing stiff at any step during the installation or afterwards without any messages

so I went to suse  & I am very happy with it

I wonder if I should try mandriva 10.1 ?

I would be happy to use again Mandriva which was my first Linux OS to operate safely

Yes. There were problems as you can read from the first thread.

HP supplied Mandrake Linux 9.1 CDs (and the CDs were tailor made since they had HP logo) when I purchased the Laptop so the installation was smooth. If that is also true for your case you can always switch back to Mandrake Linux 9.1

I don't see any particular advantage in Mandrakelinux 10 except that you learn new things by facing/solving installation problems.

If you would like to try Mandriva 10.1 proceed as follows:

Note down the description of present drivers in your system before installation so that you are able to chose the right ones.

Put CD1 and proceed with normal installation. If the installation hangs in first 2 or 3 screens just switch off. There is no damage to your data or programs till you reach the stage of partions. If you reach upto that stage installation will not hang till the stage when it asks you to chose sound card or network card driver. If it hangs at that stage and you exit the main system is already installed and the driver may still work if you chose the right ones.

If the installation hangs in first 2 or 3 screens you can try again by pressing F1 and typing "linux noauto nofirewire" and pressing enter.

This is what worked for me and you can try it.

Kamalakar