Good Linux RTS

Urza9814

Hey, I could use a good C&C/Starcraft style RTS for Linux...free would be best...or demo...lol...I HAVE almost $200...I'm WILLING TO SPEND none...lol...saving for a new comp :P

so yea...looking for a good RTS with the feel of C&C or Starcraft...the older C&C mainly...but I'd like something that has a skirmish mode...anyone know of anything? I was looking through the Linux Game Tome, but failed to find anything interesting in the first few pages...

A long time ago in a place something like today I wrote a HowTo for Starcraft using WINE.

How To: Install and Play Starcraft on Linux

by: ShadowFox

Version: 1.1

System Tested:

HP Pavilion 5425 Laptop running Mandrake 9.1and wine v20030709

Things to do:

1) Download and install the latest version of wine (stable at time of article: 20030709)

2) Configure a wine registry and prepare it for Window games and apps

3) Installing Starcraft

4) Playing Starcraft

Section 1

First things first, we need to go to http://www.winehq.org and download the latest stable source of wine and compile it. Compiling wine is very a very easy task, but might take some time of your system does not have the correct libraries. If this is the case, I would recommmnd going to http://rpmfind.net and try to find the latest version of wine for your distrobution.

To install wine from source unzip the source into a local directory. Open up a terminal windows and navigate into the directory. Once in the directory type “./tools/wineinstall”. The script is pretty self contained. I would recommend doing something for the next few minutes. Building wine from source can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes or more. Once it finsihed compiling, it will ask for your root password and install wine into your linux system. Once thats done continue onto section 2.

Section 2

Wine unfortunately does not make a viable fake windows system. In order to do this I would recommend downloading winetools (v1.22 in this case) from http://franksworld.net/wine/winetools . Unzip the program and in the terminal type “sh install.sh”. Once the program is running. Select “Create Fake Windows Drive”. Enter the mount point and device name of the CD-Rom drive and click create. Now exit the winetools.

Now in the ./wine/users.conf add the following lines to the end of the file:

[software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders]

"Programs" = "C:\\WINDOWS\\Start Menu\\Programs"

This will prevent the annoying problem of a “start menu error” occuring The next tweak is just as easy, but if you do not do this you will not be able ot use the keyboard.

Full screen tweak:

If you are going to play Starcraft full screen, open up the /.wine/config and on line 130 make sure “DXGrab” = “Y” , without it your keyboard will not work.

Windowed Tweak:

If you are going to play Starcraft in a window you need to edit your /.wine/config. On line 121, remove the semi-colon from in front of "Desktop" = "640x480" and on line 130 make sure "DXGrab" = "N", if you dont do this your keyboard will not work (strange yes.. but I didnt write wine).

If there are other problems check out http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?appId=72&versionId=51 your problem might be answered here.

Section 3

Now that we have done all the “hard” stuff and have gotten wine ready for Starcraft, everything will be a sinch. To install Starcraft, from the terminal go to your CD-Rom drive (in my case /mnt/cdrom) and type “wine install.exe”. If everything was done right, you should see the Starcraft installer window pop up. Do what it says, and congrats, you have installed Starcraft onto your linux system.

Section 4

Now the whole reason for the HowTo... to play the freaking game. Very simple. Navigate in the terminal to the directory of Starcraft (for me /home/shadow/.wine/c/Progam Files/StarCraft and type “wine Starcraft.exe”. The game should load. Enjoy

Version 1.1 Changes:

- More wine config tweeks

*Disclaimer: I do not take responsibility for any lost or damaged media or properties.

Copyright © 2003 Daniel Cheatham

• 2 months later...

Total Anihilation works well with wine - and is one of the greatest RTs games ever produced! You can even add units/maps to make the game more interesting, more difficult or whatever!

May I suggest:

Globulation 2 (free)

Savage ($25)

These one aren't RTS but turn based, have a look anyway :)

Battle Of Wesnoth (free)

Dominions 2 (~$40)

.:=The AI Dude=:.