Suse installation problem

Hi all!

I have a Penthium II, 500Mhz, 192 Mb of RAM, with a 40 Gbs IDE Western Digital HD with Mandrake 9.0 and Xandros 2.0 working fine and A 2.5 Gbs IDE Maxtor HD on which I have tried to install Suse 9.0 at least 3-4 times.I also have a S3 86365 (Virge) graphic card which has created a few problems when I tried installing Mdk and Xandros.

When I try installing Suse it goes ok but when it tries rebooting to finish the installation GRUB comes in and then stalls at Stage2. The last time I couldn't even go back into Mdk nor Xandros ( I thought I would be smart and reinstall Xandros on top of itself but I lost everything in Xandros and had to start all the updates and Bookmarks and Address Books import). I have tried using Restore or Repair from the Suse cd and I could get a login (as root with a password that it accepted even if I had never set one in yet).

Now when I start the machine the Xandros Lilo offers me to boot into Suse if I want to but I can only access the console mode. If I print:"startx" I get the following message:

-bash:/usr/X11R6/bin/startx:No such file or directory

-bash.exec:/usr/X11R6/bin/startx:cannot execute:No such file or directory

When I try to get into /usr or other folders I am denied permission. I cannot "su" either for the same reason.

When I am in Xandros I can open the File Manager and go into My Linux and ALL Files System and see and open Suse in a graphic mode but there is very little I can do (mostly from lack of knowledge) beside sharing folders.

Now that I have restored the boot loader I have no problem opening Mdk but I haven't tried solving my Suse problems using it. I would rather wreck my Xandros distro (the last one with little to loose beside an install) than Mandrake.

What do you suggest anyone?

Réjean

Edited by laudire

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say whether you are installing the Pro or Personal edition. Off the top, I don't think you have enough memory to run a full graphic install of Suse Pro. I have never used the Personal version so i cannot say with any certainty that it is the same problem. The best way to proceed is to reinstall s+Suse and and at the summary screen, choose change and then partitions. You could also use the Mandrake 1st install cd to get to Diskdrake and use it or another partitioner from Mandrake since you can load Mandrake. Cfdisk would be my choice. Reinstall Suse from the start and limit your choice of KDE components and do not install Gnome if it is an option. Use similar discretion with the rest of the selection of software to what you need. Others will no doubt have additional suggestions.

Counterspy

Edited by Counterspy

at the suse installation, have you defined a "default desktop" to choose? if noe, that would explain you startx error. btw. 192 mbram is more than enough to run suse. it needs 128mb minimum. i ask myself is your xorgconfig is set up properly... :unsure:

what type of SuSE installation did you opt for? if you go with a bare bones minumum installation, you can get by with 500MB, but a "standard" installation requires 2.5 GB of disk space, and a portly installation would require even more. SuSE's default WM is KDE, and its a real disk hog.

How much disk space do you have left on that 2.5 GB drive?

FYI, here are the minimum system requirements for Suse 9.2:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/su...of/sysreqs.html