mandrake 10.1 community - help please!

photoworks

durvish, could you clarify something here please btw you've helped me in another thread along similar lines - cheers. So, to upgrade to 10.1 Official (and so access those security updates) I need to:

Update sources etc at Easy Urpmi, followed by urpmi urpmi. No problems here. It's the following sequence I'm not sure of.

then as root type init 3    ,  then log in as root and type    urpmi --auto-select

Is this in failsafe mode as suggested by arctic (message 2, this thread) or as logging in a root user and having big red screen? I suspect the former?

Maybe its a silly Q - but I really don't wanna screw up my system because I've misunderstood a concept here.

Cheers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this drops you into a fullscreen console. It's almost what you would get if you booted up without the X server. This way if urpmi updates or upgrades xorg and/or your DM such as Gnome or KDE (which it most likely will with this update/upgrade ) then there won't be any complications with X and your DM.

The screen your talking about is not the failsafe boot it is the root boot! (say that twice :banana: )

I just wanna say this again ----- this will be upgrading your system, it worked fine for me but some people have had the upgrade really mess up their system.

Back up your important stuff just in case it does or be like me and just do it and if it screws up your system go have a beer, yell at yourself in the mirror then do a clean install of CE and run through all this again and chock it up to living on the edge! :drum:

Edited by durvish

Well, so far so good, but I've come across a problem which I've faced before and cos I'm a newbie it still strikes up concern.

I selected mirrors for 10.1 official at esy Urpmi and downloaded (I'm using 10.1CE)

I did the urpmi urpmi

still as [su] I did init 3 - so far so good

I typed urpmi --auto-select which gave me 161dependency downloads, I said yes, gimme em all - so far so good.

About half way thru the list I get this message which is the problem:

The following packages have bad signatures:

/mnt/cdrom/media/main2/xlockmore-5.11-2mdk.i586.rpm: Invalid Key ID ((sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg GPG#26752624 OK)

Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N)

BTW it asked at the beginning of process to install cd2 but is downloading from the mirror sites - here's a sample of text immediately before the problem bad signature warning

ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake...0-1mdk.i586.rpm

ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake...0-1mdk.i586.rpm

installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/spamassassin-3.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm

Preparing... ##################################################

68:perl-Mail-SpamAssassin ##################################################

69:spamassassin ##################################################

So I'm about halfway thru my dependecies list when I reach the problem.

Questions:

1) I said n, but obviously I need them - what would be the effect of downloading packages with bad signatures

2) Would it be wise instead to start again and select different mirrors and try again?

3) Should I have removed the cd surces from, my rpm manager

Edited by ChrisM

Okey dokey

But just 1 more quick Q if I can - what is this about bad sig's. Should we genarally be concerend about them or not (I had a similar issue not long ago and got told to say yes anyway, but if its bad - its bad is it not?)

Just trying to learn my way around.

also urpmi --auto-select does not install the latest kernel by default , but you can do that later in MCC after the upgrade

I have updated to the latest kernel but i still have as well the old kernel in the boot sequence and when i boot in the new kernel it goes fist in scanning bios settings and then starts. how do i change the boot so that it starts normally with the new kernel ? And can i remove the old kernel ?

I would leave the older kernel on there just in case you have to boot to it in an emergency.

If you go to MCC and click on boot I think the first screen that comes up is to confirm which bootloader you are using then the next screen shows your kernels. Just click on your new kernel and set it to default and you should be good.

If you have never done this before take your time and run through it slow you don't want to make a silly mistake and have to go in and fix a broken boot loader.

• 2 weeks later...
If you really want to move to 10.1 CE instead of wainting a week or 2 for official then load up CE and go to " Easy Urpmi " and set up your sources ( don't forget to  ---- urpmi urpmi  ---- when you finish )

then as root type init 3    ,  then log in as root and type    urpmi --auto-select

This  will update and upgrade 10.1 CE to the latest tree ( remember this will load everything! )

What is "Easy Urpmi"? Is that just another name for "Media Manager"?

Thanks.

What is "Easy Urpmi"?  Is that just another name for "Media Manager"?

Thanks.

The MCC is a graphical front end for urpmi.

Urpmi will load up all the mirrors - all the mirrors will have access to the latest and greatest updates.

this is easy urpmi

You got 10.1CE - to get your updates select 10.1 official.

Do a little prep before hand if you haven't used urpmi b4. There's an FAQ in this BB.

Read thru this link carefully and You'll get there. Anything you don't understand - just post your questions.