mandrake 10.1 community - help please!

photoworks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boot your system in failsafe mode. at the first prompt, type init3, at the second prompt, log in as root (login: root ; password: *****). then type startx. you should log into your system now (with kde as default, i guess). open konqueror and enable "show hidden files". delete the /.kde and /.qt folder from your users /home directory and reboot. if that doesn't help, try creating a new user to see if you can login with the new user. if yes, you can ship your files to the new user-directory. if you encounter more problems, post them here. :)

sorry, it was init 3 of course (bloody typos)

in order to ship your important data from user1 to user2, you can simply move or copy them as root from one home directory to another. do not forget to change the persmissions for the folders (e.g. right click folder, select preferences →permissions→click on advanced and check the boxes you need). after you have moved all the data you need from user1 to user2, you can delete /home/user1.

Well i reinstalled everything form scratch, now it seems to work, though i am wondering if it was worth it to move to 10.1. there was supposed to be a bluetooth support and support for wireless, but it is the same as with 10.0.

But at least, with 10.0 mozilla was working properly displaying website seamlessly and displaying flash anim properly.

honestly....i'd go for the firefox browser. the plugins are easy to grab and they autoinstall. plus, it's so much faster and can be made WAY faster than the default.

my guess is that it's also less buggy than mozilla.

If you really want to move to 10.1 CE instead of wainting a week or 2 for official then load up CE and go to " Easy Urpmi " and set up your sources ( don't forget to ---- urpmi urpmi ---- when you finish )

then as root type init 3 , then log in as root and type urpmi --auto-select

This will update and upgrade 10.1 CE to the latest tree ( remember this will load everything! )

Edited by durvish

what do you mean by "( don't forget to ---- urpmi urpmi ---- when you finish )", does that mean taht i have to type urpmi urmmi at the end of the command lines of the sources ?

Will i be then able to update 10.1 community to 10.1 official this way ?

If so, that would be swell !!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana:

Edited by photoworks

after you set the sources and urpmi urpmi

you will type urpmi --auto-select in the console, then it will download a whole crap load of updates and upgrades because remember its not just updating your stuff it's loading everything

there are a few things left in the tree that haven't been mirrored yet just read my earlier posts

your start up screen will still say Community -- that's because that file is still not in the tree ( may be added to the tree in the next week ) but all the other core files for Official that have been put in the tree will be installed.

also urpmi --auto-select does not install the latest kernel by default , but you can do that later in MCC after the upgrade