just got wireless setup

I recently purchased a wireless setup for my home. Since the office in our home doesn't have a cable or phone jack and I'm not allowed to install one, I'm pretty much stuck with wireless. I have a D-link Dl-624 extremeG router with one extremeG pcmcia card and two extremeG PCI cards. My question is, how do I setup the wireless configuration in Mandrake? Harddrake sees a wireless device installed, so does that mean it just has to be configured?

I seem to be having a connection problem under XP that I hope I won't have with Mandrake 10.0. Under XP, each time I restart the machine, or log off/on, the connection to the router is lost. I have to open up D-link's software and rescan before I can get network/internet connectivity. D-link's tech support thinks that either their software is buggy, or it's a problem with XP SP2. Either way it's incredibly annoying and I'm hoping I won't have that problem under Mandrake.

Moved from Hardware by Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

I have tried to get a wireless connection working but failed to do so cuz the usb wireless card wasnt recognised in linux. but the manuals i have read about it (window$ install tho :angry: ) suggest to set it up using a cable first and once it is working switch to wireless. The reason for this being that there are too many factors that determin if your connection is working or not, using a cable setup first eleminates quite a few possibilities that things go wrong. Sorry for not being able to help ya, but i am sure interested in the solution :cheesy:

I'm still a newbie, so I'm about to ask a dumb question...what's the command to activate ndiswrapper? What are the wireless tools and where are they located? I read somewhere that they are not installed by default and you'd have to install them from the disc. Is this true?

i post this link all over the place, but it was really helpful

wireless help

also the ndiswrapper stuff worked better for me if i got the tarball from sourceforge.net. just go there and do a search for it. it works really great for me and my wife who also has wireless G

• 5 months later...
Guest caleb

Hi,

I´m not really sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I thought I should try instead of starting a new thread. First off, I´m a WIndows XP Refugee. I´ve come from of a land of point and click so it´s been a slight learning curve for me. From what I´ve read so far in the forums I managed to get my wireless network card operational, it is a;

Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

I I am using Mandrake Download 10.1 and all my hardware was detected in the Mandrake control centre. I read that the ipw2100 driver comes with Mandrake Download but the firmware does not. I located/downloaded/installed the firmware and rebooted. My wireless NIC started up. when I do a iwconfig I get

eth2 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"laptop" Nickname:"localhost"

Mode:Ad-Hoc Channel:1 Cell: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Bit Rate=0kb/s Tx-Power=32 dBm

Retry:on RTS thr=2304 B Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:158

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

This is where I get stuck, from here on out I have no Idea what I am doing. I tried Control centre / Network and Internet / New connection. Here is what I do;

I select wireless connection, select the network adapter, and choose manual configuration (I´ll explain why in the next paragraph) and enter the values;

IP adress : 192.168.0.100

Netmask : 255.255.0.0

I select track network card id, network hotplugging and start at boot. I then select;

Operating Mode : Ad-hoc

ESSID : Laptop

Encryption Key : Random Letters / numbers

Next It promts for the wireless parameters for the card;

RTS / CTS

Fragmentation

I have no idea what these values mean so I leave them blank. The reason I choose manual configuration and Ad-hoc is becuase My other machine is a windows pc connected to a bridge that is configured with the following;

IP 192.168.0.201

Netmask : 255.255.0.0

Ad - Hoc Mode

I have no idea if I have done any of this right or if I have done something wrong. I have read iin previous posts something about wireless tools, what are they? What I really need to know is if I have configured my network adapter properly and what tools I need to connect to and configure a WIFI network..

Peace out,

caleb

Your encryption key has to match the one use on the other computer. Dont just put anything random in there. Its fine to leave RTS/CTS and Fragmentation blank you dont need them

Good luck, i have attempted to create adhoc networks in the past with no luck, maybe you'll be more fortunate.

iphitus

Guest caleb
Your encryption key has to match the one use on the other computer. Dont just put anything random in there.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I only used the words random number as an example becuase I did not want to post the actual WEP key in the forum. I am paranoid about my wireless network because I know the encryption can be cracked. I don´t want to make it any easier by posting a key for people :)

Is the ESSID of the wireless network really laptop?

I find the best thing for getting wireless networking going is to turn off all security measures to start with, then once you get something going turn the security on bit by bit.