HOW DO I: change the system default to Gnome?

BluesRenegade

Guest Roxbury Ranger

I just figured this out myself. Here's what you do:

- Open Configure Your Computer in KDE

- Click on the Boot icon

- Click on the Autologin icon

- Make sure that the prompt to launch the graphical environment when your system starts is checked

- Change the default desktop to GNOME (or IceWM if you really want ugly)

- Click OK and the next time you start the system you'll be in GNOME.

- Change the default desktop to GNOME (or IceWM if you really want ugly)

hey, icewm can be beautiful. you only need to tweak it a bit. ;)

look e.g. here http://www.h0ax.org/gfx/ss/classic-II.IceWM.sshot.jpg

or here http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/352713/void1.jpg

or here http://www.frikis.org/images/screenshots/icewm/chomsky.png

Thanks for the reply!

I have multiple users setup on this machine, so an autologin is not the solution. Autologin just presets the session and logs in to that preset. That's not the same thing as changing the system default session.

The reply I got after yours may be what we both were looking for, Ranger. I'm gonna check it out and I'll let this thread know the result.

mmmh... why don't you simply change the login-manager from mdkdm to gdm or kdm in the mandrake control-center? both are better than mandrakes default loginmanager because you are able to login as root with kdm and gdm. in mdkdm, you are a bit lost...

I don't think you looked closely enough. It will be there.

(You need to open konquerer then click on ....View then click on "show hidden folders" (anything that has a . in front of it means it is a hidden folder or file.

This bit is for newcomers looking at this thread. )

Just click on .wmrc and change KDE to GNOME (all upper case) then be sure to SAVE the change.

Edited by AussieJohn

Re your answer. I think maybe that the text in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop should read DISPLAYMANAGER=GDM and not the GNOME that presently appears there.

Mine reads =KDM and not KDE even though it reads KDE in my .wmrc and my system works AOK.

I think you have somehow created your problem rather than having a generic problem that needed to be fixed.

John.

I did that, already, but that didn't change the system default session. If I login and leave it set to "Last used', it always uses KDE regardless of the fact that GNOME *was* the last gdm I used.

So, now what??

Blues

mmmh... why don't you simply change the login-manager from mdkdm to gdm or kdm in the mandrake control-center? both are better than mandrakes default loginmanager because you are able to login as root with kdm and gdm. in mdkdm, you are a bit lost...

John, I don't know what you read in my message that leads you to think I create the problem. I said I viewed that file. I did NOT create that setting, merely told the thread what it says.

I assume the setting got there because I changed the gdm thru the Mandrakelinux Control Center, the System choice on left, then I clicked on the Display Manager icon. Isn't that how it is supposed to be changed?? I may be a Mandrake newbie, but I sure as heck didn't create this problem. I changed it the way the Help file says to, and it is NOT working!! :wall:

I'm telling you, there is NO .wmrc file in /home/blues directory. I did check very thoroughly. I even redirected the output of ls -al to a file and then examined the file carefully with cat <filename> | less .

i.e.

ls -al > ls-al_longlst.txt

cat ls-al_longlst.txt | less

There is no such file .wmrc in /home/blues directory. I've also checked the /home directory and I logged in as su and tried: ls -aR .wmrc from the top-level / folder and no such file or directory message returned.

I logged in as su and tried:

slocate -u (to update the database with security settings)

followed by:

slocate .wmrc

locate .wmrc

Nothing found.

Blues

Re your answer.  I think maybe that the text in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop should read  DISPLAYMANAGER=GDM and not the GNOME that presently appears there.

Mine reads  =KDM and not KDE even though it reads KDE in my .wmrc and my system works AOK.

I think you have somehow created your problem rather than having a generic problem that needed to be fixed.

John.