Question about mounting, directories etc. (fixed)

Sophisto

Hi! Im newbe to linux and is getting a bit confused with the file system...

When I installet linux I created a / (root) partition, a /home partition (ext3 journalised) and a /home/winlin partition (Fat32 so i can access it in windows)... plus that I left my two winddows ntfs partitions

My problem is that I cannot write to the fat32 partition if im logged in normally! Only when I log in as root I can write to it! Ive tried to change its mount points to various including /var/winlin but that didnt help!

I also dont understand why I SOMETIMES CAN, and SOMETIMES CANNOT unmount and mount partitions i.e. I open konsole type "su" and the diskdrake. Whenn I want to unmount the fat32 partition (for trying to change its directory to somehting else) I only get the mesage "Can't access partiotion it migh be in use" (or something similar). This is not resolved when I boot as the root! The only partition I can unmount is my windows NTFS partition!

My main problem is though the first one, that I cannot write to my fat32 partition (only as root) the second bit just confuses me a bit! Does anyone have an idea about what I could do? Im a bit fed up with having to log in as root anytime i want to write something to my fat32 drive...

THe last question is: is my "naming" of my lFAT32 inux partitions reasonable... i.e." /home/winlin" or "/var/winlin" or should it be called something else? (has that something to do with whether I can access it or not as a normal user?)

:thanks: for your time

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Edited by Sophisto

Yes, you need to make dure that your user has access rights to the partition. /home/winlin would expect a user, named winlin, to have access rights to that partition and of course root. So as root, change the permissions to /home/winlin so that your user can use it.

There really is no need to unmount the partition, but if a file manager is looking at /home/winlin, then it is "in use". Would you post your /etc/fstab? That tells linux what to mount at boot time, and can be useful in this instance.

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda9 /home/finn/winlin vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

Here it is... As you can see my user name is "finn" and the "winlin" partition is currently placed in /home/finn/winlin but still I cannot access it although it is placed in the home/finn directory.. do I have to call it /home/finn as well?

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Had it been a folder created by user finn, you would have been fine. But root created it, so finn/winlin and root have access rights. Change the partition rights so that everyone has read/write access to it. I think you can do this with a gui as root, by right clicking the /hom/finn/lin folder and going to properties, tic all permissions for access. There is a command line entry as well, but I'm afraid to say anything from memory, since I will prolly be wrong!

Hi! This is getting into a bit of nightmare.....

I logged in as root and right-clicked at the folder and I could check the boxes so that everybody (finn, root, group) could access, write into the directory but then when I click apply and close nothing has changed! I also tested with deleting the partition and creating a new one logedded in as user (finn)! but still when i go to properties it says that root has created it!!!!!!!!! hmmm.... strange...

Firt of all, id recommend you not to log in to kde as root.

To do maintance work, open a console an su to root.

So in a console as root do this:

chown -R finn:finn /home/finn/winlin

And thatll convert everything under /home/finn/winlin to be owned by user finn.

Post results.

BTW: the system wont let you unmount a partition if its being used, even if you only have a konqueror opened showing this partition contents will be considered as 'in use', so youll have to leave the directory (same applies to a console).

Hi! Got a bit unpatient and installed mandrake again, since I also wanted to do some configurations with my windows partitions and now its working for some reason. I can access my fat32 windows partition! But I will take your advice and write down that command line somewhere for future use!

Thanks a lot anyway!

/Finn