cutting edge software?

giorsat

gnome 2.6. while we are at 2.8.1 . they call it cutting edge. I also spend money as silver member to get software good 6 month ago. no wonder if people switch to fedora or ubuntu. at least they don't pay a penny for rela cutting edge software, that works the same... :( :evilmod:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

yes. stability or freshness. my dumbness in using linux doesn't matter with the fact that gnome is a very stable enviroment and I pay 120 euros to get software good 6 month ago. It 's natural that as soon other free distros such ubuntu gimme the latest software (that means lesser bugs as 2.8.1 compared to 2.6, don't forget it) for free I switch my 12 pc network to them.granted .

I think the reality is marketing. It should be clear, with a commercial product, what you are buying. Mandrake still does not market very well. I also don't think it is intentional, just sort of dumb.

I'd say, giorsat, please go ahead and try out Ubuntu and other linux distros, and talk back here in Everything Linux on how they compare.

Whatever MandrakeSoft decides, some people will not be happy. In this case it is you. I'm a KDE user, so no Ubuntu for me. (Well, I could get used to gnome, I just currently use kde..)

You can't win em all, and I for one am happy that MandrakeSoft decides to go for the less cutting edge option. Remember, this will be a boxed product, it's time to get away from the old linux rep of being nice but instable (for the software, not the system) or outdated. The stable versions are not that outdated but they are that much more stable.

Have a look at FC and how many stabilty issues people wrestle with. Then along comes RH once it's stable, packs it and sells it. And FC users get ready to beta test another round.

So they don't pay in money, but hell yeah, they pay.

it's a complete nonsense. first of all nobody think to the fact that a new release is always a bugfix of older ones. so it's gnome 2.8 compared to 2.6. what hurts my nerves is that with the justification of stability they cover the fact that gnome is left behind. I'm no fun of gnome at all. I ve used kde for years then I discovered that in a network gnome works incredibly well while kde is a complete mess. nothing more nothing less. so please let the stability blah blah to someone else. mine is not a lament of a fanatic but of one who wouldn't' like to leave mandrake (Ipay for it, I repeat) for something else, but it will be compelled from the need of his network at workplace.

It is not nonsense - for instance kde 3.2 is much more stable than 3.3 and besides, the translations are still way behind.

I can imagine that for gnome 2.8 something similar is the case.

And in case you didn't know, loads of users don't use Linux in english - localisation is one of the strong points of Linux.

Anyway, I recommend that you stop paying Mandrake until you are satisfied with it once more, and in the meantime, I recommend you to use a distribution that has more 'up to date' or cutting edge packages than Mandrakelinux, and report back on your experiences with those here.

BTW: "gnome is left behind" how so, if 10.1OE ships with kde 3.2 instead of 3.3???

Edited by aRTee

Just thought I should point out that gentoo doesn't have stable gnome 2.8 packages yet, it isn't as if mandrake is on its own.

Besides, a quick google will find you unofficial packages for gnome 2.8 - or you can check out cooker.

I believe that Ubuntu is the only distro currently offering Gnome 2.8. You can't even get Gnome 2.8 from the Debian Sid repositories yet.

Fedora Core 3, to be released in another month or two, will offer Gnome 2.8 as well. But FC is actually a permanent beta (to support RHEL), and is as buggy as any beta can be expected to be (just follow many of the reported issues, as well as their user forums).

The forthcoming SuSE 9.2 will be offering Gnome 2.6 (same as Mandrake 10.1).

So the lesson here is that Mandrake should not be criticized for not including Gnome 2.8 in the new 10.1 release.

Only the completely Gnome-centric Ubuntu features Gnome 2.8 at this time. They even have core Gnome and Debian developers as part of their team. And they will maintain a 6 month release cycle, and each release will always feature the very latest Gnome release. This is their specialty. So if you always have to have the latest and greatest of Gnome, go with Ubuntu.

But for me, Mandrakelinux strikes the perfect balance between being cutting edge, and maintaining relative bug free stability. After all they were the first distro to fully feature kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2 in a stable release. And I prefer KDE most of the time, and Mandrakelinux is usually on top of the latest and greatest in KDE. The only reason KDE 3.3 is not the default for Mandrake 10.1 is that KDE 3.3 is not stable yet. But it's still offered as an install option. That's both wise and fair, wouldn't you agree?