kde 3.1 install ?

mdg

I downloaded all the 3.1 rc5 rpms from Texstar, but on install urpmi tells me "everything already installed". That's highly unlikely, seeing as I'm running 3.04.

I cd'd to the directory holding all the 3.1 rpms and as root typed "urpmi kde*".

Admittedly, this was done from the KDE graphical desktop, maybe that was the mistake?

Related question: what's the easiest way to restart in text mode. (never had to do it before)

Guest smoketoomuch

I updated it trough synaptic, having removed old KDE first, then renaming .kde to something else, logging into gnome, and updating from there. There are - or were - some packages that if you chose to install among the new ones, it would not work (ksim for instance). See this thread for further notes on Texstar's rpms:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html

(read it trough the last page, there are a few useful advices)

I have installed from the texstar rpms (I did use synaptics and could not get is to work with URPMI). When you do install/upgrade make sure that you upgrade kdenetworks it seems to have a depency that kdebase requires. Also you do not need to remove the older version of KDE just install over the top. When you are done make sure you rebot the system.

You are telling urpmi to install kde, and it is telling you that kde is installed. So, here is one way that works for me.

Howto install new kde:

Open Mandrake Control Center

Pick Boot->Boot Config

Untic the Boot to graphics

Close

Reboot

cd to kde new files directory (On mine I call it /home/dan/KDE3.1)

su to root

Type urpmi *.rpm

It will tell you if you have any conflicts or if you have missed any files

To remove any files type urpme filename

After install, exit root

type startx

If all works, go back to your Mandrake Control Center and tic the graphic boot

Now, reboot.

If you need to get files that you missed, simply exit root and type startx to get your gui desktop.

There is no need to uninstall kde, unless you are going back to 3.0x.

Hope this helps.

OK, KDE3.1 is installed using the urpmi method. I had to uninstall Keramik because it conflicted with the new version.

However, I now have a plain blue desktop (no icons, no background) with only the taskbar at the bottom. I can start programs via the K-menu, but the "run command" and F-2 don't work.

I've tried resetting color schemes, themes etc in Control Panel, but the changes are ignored. Right click doesn't work on the desktop and drag-and-drop from the taskbar also won't work The desktop is totally non-functional except for the taskbar

BTW, thanks for the help so far, much appreciated

Well, that didn't help - still have the same blue, iconless desktop, except now my taskbar has become de-personalized and the icons I put there are not functional

Also, file managers don't work (Konquereor and Krusader). They start to load, then click out with an error (SIGSEGV)

I guess this is where learning the console would have paid off :(

Are you sure that you have all of the rpm's? It sounds like not all of the rpm's were installed. Keremik and some others on my system all had to be uninstalled because these are now part of kde. I think at this point, I would boot into console mode, uninstall kde (urpme kde), and then reinstall kde with the same instructions as before. This time, because of the uninstall, urpmi may also ask for the first install cd. So, be prepared, and just follow the on-screen instructions.

The dangers with this is that if you have missed any files, you'll have to retrieve them in text mode. (what fun!) It is better to double check before you delete a desktop. I also have at least one other light weight desktop installed, like fluxbox, so that if I get into trouble, I can always go there. I like to use gui. Install a program called Xtart, so that you can choose a different manager from the command line. Once installed, typing Xtart will give you a menu to choose which manager you want to use.

So I reinstalled Mdk and right after put in KDE3.1 again. Only difference is I downloaded ALL the files this time. I had only downloaded the files with a kde prefix - sorta figured the other files weren't part of it. Only occurred to me after I read lxthusdan's post a second time

Everything works except for Krusader, but I'll get to that. Right now I have to put back all my settings