Success!! ATI Radeon Drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Tymestream

Still got one question.. The xorg version of ati driver is 6.8 and on Mandrake 10.1 it is 6.7. should i update my xorg to 6.8.0 - 6.8.2 or just let it be..? :woops:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still got one question.. The xorg version of ati driver is 6.8 and on Mandrake 10.1 it is 6.7. should i update my xorg to 6.8.0 - 6.8.2 or just let it be..? :woops:

I had the previous ati drivers working fine, but the latest one didn't work for me. I upgrade to xorg 6.8. to make it work. Have a read of this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=171000

Guest Gorian

I'm trying to install the ATI drivers on Mandrake64. I Downloaded the rpm and followed the instructions from Tymestream but when I run fglrxinfo I still get:

display: :0.0 screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

I'm experiencing the same problem, but I'm using a Mandrake community 10.1

Have you made any headway, because I've posted here and a few other places and still have come up blank. I have NO idea! :wall: Does anyone else have any ideas for Mandrake64?

Guest sepius

God I tell ya ... I've had it. Been at this for 2 days and I am just fed up. I moved over to the ATI because I could not get my nVidia working. On MDK 10.0 loaded drivers and viola, working, no issues, snub the nVidia, life was good. Now we get 10.1 with Xorg and things have to be difficult. I seem to have more trouble with 3D as time goes on. My old monster and Voodoo 2 had no trouble.

I am not overly convinced with xorg, there seems to be some disparities with drivers and version releases. I get directed to some encyclopedia instead of drivers for DRI and I just don't know or care for that matter. I cannot help but feel I get the run around. I don't want to run on MS as frames are worse because MS XP is a big resource hog, AND, does not have multiple desktops THAT WORK, and they are so arrogant. Looks like I'll be going the Mandrake Official. Cheaper than XP, but I don't like being forced into this. I would like good free drivers, easy to install, and pay for superior drivers. I have paid money for a red hat and Lycoris distro, both similar trouble getting the 3D to work, and since I use Blender a lot, this is important. If anyone has the official version of MDK 10.1, do your cards work no drama's? I would like to know. The ATI has been a good card and I would like to know it is worth it, but for piece of mind, I am yet to see a distro pull off 3D support sucessfully.

By the way, its a 9250 on a AMD32, and when I run fgl_glxgears I get error 34!!

I know the vendors do not support Linux, but if we all started emailing our issues, they may get an idea of the size of the market, and work more to help the Linux people. ATI have a feed back site, lets get into them about this heh ...

• 5 months later...

I quited from ATI becouse the poor drivers that they make. The hardware is excelent but the drivers for Linux simple sucks.

Now I'm a happy nVidia costumer with a (hardware poor) GeForce MX 4000 but with drivers that works near perfect.

In the past I got the ATI driver to work on the MDK 10.1 but some things don't worked, like Doom 3 for example.

With the GeForce, the graphics are a litle slowly but the driver install so easy and work so great, that a love that now. I think that is a good point to nVidia that made Sony chose then for the Playstation 3.

ATI is loosing all the Linux users market and seens that they don't care about.

I'm with nVidia now!