Success!! ATI Radeon Drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Tymestream

Guest Sebastian
The problem gets solved for me if I use

OpenGL version string: 1.3.4641 (X4.3.0-3.14.1).

This is the 3.14.1 version of the ati-driver. The latest 3.14.6 won't work.

Sebastian

I'm using the ATI X300 card, and the 3.14.1 version wouldn't work for me, but the 3.14.6 works a treat. (with the 4.3 .0 version of xfree)

I use x.org because it is default in Mandrake 10.1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's something I should ask before beating myself to death trying to get the ATI drivers installed. If I'm not planning on doing any gaming or anything that would need 3D acceleration like openGL is there even any benefit to installing the upgraded drivers? Otherwise i'll just wait until the ATI drivers are ported to Xorg.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get check.sh to do anything.

I'm brand new to Linux, and not quite sure how to do anything. I tried it in a terminal window, and it said command not known. Then I to right-click it and it did sod-all.

Help?

-demonic

(EDIT--- Nevermind. I figured out how to run it.)

Edited by demonicomelette

Guest Mynameisbt
I can't get check.sh to do anything.

I'm brand new to Linux, and not quite sure how to do anything. I tried it in a terminal window, and it said command not known. Then I to right-click it and it did sod-all.

Help?

-demonic

(EDIT--- Nevermind. I figured out how to run it.)

try ./check.sh and if that doesnt work do: sh check.sh

Guest recover

i have tried multiple times and everytime i get done with no errors at all when i restart X and go to log in. . all my windows have a transparency to them. they are all clear and around images and words the colors are distorted??

what am i doing wrong. .this is driving me nuts.

hey, I'm just wondering...I believe I heard on these boards before that the ATI cards worked, just not fully...or did I read it wrong or something? I'm building a new comp soon, using a Radeon 9200. Right now my video is just built into my mobo...and that's fine for linux, since I boot to windoze for games...so will I need to go through all that?

BTW, im using mdk 9.2, so...

Edited by Urza9814

Ok I worked with the instructions and everything went well until i went to the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdirectory and tried to run make.sh  The following error occured:

initializing...

kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include not found or incomplete

file:/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

I've looked at the readme on ATI, and it says I need to install the source code for linux. Unfotuanatly I have no clue what to do. If the above solution is right, please help me do it, if not, please help me fix the problem. Every minute is another minute I can't play my 3d games. :furious3:

I couldn't get it to work either and I have the same error... It seems that the DVD iso i installed did not install the source either... and I just posted a new topic (i feel dumb, now that i found this thread) but... does any one know what to do next? I have no clue what I should do and at a wall... I'm about to just give up on Linux altogether... which I don't want to because I just got into it and getting used to it... (btw if you haven't notice, i'm a newbie to Linux i know nothing except the basic commands lol, pretty pathetic)

Guest recover
i have tried multiple times and everytime i get done with no errors at all when i restart X and go to log in. . all my windows have a transparency to them.  they are all clear and around images and words the colors are distorted??

what am i doing wrong. .this is driving me nuts.

^^anyone?

ideas. throw me a bone here.

hey, I'm just wondering...I believe I heard on these boards before that the ATI cards worked, just not fully...or did I read it wrong or something? I'm building a new comp soon, using a Radeon 9200. Right now my video is just built into my mobo...and that's fine for linux, since I boot to windoze for games...so will I need to go through all that?

BTW, im using mdk 9.2, so...

Urza: I have a Radeon 9000 Pro, running 10.1, and I have excellent results from the default install. I tried installing the ATI patch when I first installed 10.0, but ran into problems, and had good enough frame rates with the default DRM (?) drivers, so I left it alone. I did a clean install of 10.1 last month, and still have excellent results with the default. I'm not a big gamer, and all I really play are 2D, anyway. So you should be fine.

FWIW, I installed 10.1 Official Powerpack on a separate partition this weekend, and my framerate using the standard glxgears is actually slightly *worse* on the patched kernal! :cheeky:

I'm stressed, I give up with mdk and ati.. i'm just gonna stop using Linux... This *** card really sucks when it doesn't work.

edited by Gowator: removed an inferred reference to the sexual preference of the card ??

Guest vladthedog

K.. i'm completely new to Linux (as in, 3 days.. never touched before). I followed these directions (kinda) and it seemed to work. i run that fgl cube thang and i get around 700fps, but from what little i've seen on other boards, that seems slow for my computer (AMD64 3200 w/ a radeon 9800 pro, 1g ram). i think its running in agp 2.. (not certain, but i followed ati's directions on finding out if you are running in pci or agp and it had a 2 next to the agp module). am i missing something? also, why does the command above to run gears have "$" in front? in a set of instructions to install something else i had the same thing. i tried it and just got an error.. if i didn't have the "$" it worked just fine. also, same w/ "./". i've tried searching but it's really hard to search on single letter commands. sorry for sounding like such a newb ;) (oh, i'm running mandrake 10.1)

• 2 weeks later...