Success!! ATI Radeon Drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Tymestream

Hello all,

I have been pulling my hair out over the troubles with installing Ati drivers under Mandrake. It seemed that everywhere I looked everyone was saying how crappy the drivers were and that they did not work well. Well, I finally have installed them succesfully! However, before posting a message on how I did it I searched the forums for some key words. It appears that the basic problems with the Ati install issue are all covered on Mandrakeusers.org - just not together. Here then, is a brief tutorial on what happened. Had i had this available to me it would have saved me hours!

Step#1

Get current drivers from ATI

Ati Linux Drivers

Step #2

Read and follow the details and process described on the ATI website for the installation of the drivers.

LInux ATI install how-to

Step #3

Pay close attention to the output from the installation of the driver - in most cases it says something to the effect of:

*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

*** WARNING ***

Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.

You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir

and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.

Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'

in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.

Follow those directions above (or the ones from the output that you recieved if they are different -though they should not be!) Note errors that are output. (if you want you can compare them with the FAQ and see if they are listed. According to ATI these errors do not effect performance.)

Step #4

If all else has gone succesfully it is time to run fglrxconfig as root. Use the defaults for all the settings at first - you can tweak it later if it works. Everything is straighforward, but be sure to have you Vertical and Horizontal scan frequency ranges for your monitor handy. Your monitor manual/website will have these.

Step #5

Now if everything went well up to here - your would probably run [i}startx[/i] and wonder why it doesn't work! This is what had me - I had no errors yet it would not run at all.

The Ati install is default for XFree86 not Xorg. Of course Mandrake uses Xorg - so the final configuration file that is going to be read defaults to XFree86Config-4. There are a number of ways around this you can choose whichever way you want - here is what I did.

cd /etc/X11/

touch XF86Config

cat XF86Config-4 > XF86Config

This creates a file called XF86Config and then copies the contents from the ATI default config file into it.

At this point exit from root and startx or whatever you use to start X environment. Run fgl_glxgears and if this works - you have been succesful!!

Happy Gaming!

Note: that the actual file called by default for the X environment is xorg.conf which is actually a symbolic link to XF86Config (this is already configured - do not change unless you know what you are doing)

I installed UT2004 and it is working great! In case I have missed anything or there is something that I can clarify - do not hesitate to ask. I am no expert tutorial writer and would welcome feedback. Cheers!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Tymestream for the info! I'm a newbie to linux..never touched a unix/linux box ever before a few days ago when I installed Mankrake 10.1 community.

I was able to fully follow your writeup with almost complete success. Only difference was I had to run "./make.sh" and "./make_install.sh" by typing "chmod a+x make.sh" and "chmod a+x make_install.sh" because it was giving me an error about permission denied even though I was root...could be permissions I guess...don't know how to change those yet.

I get all the way to the end where I restart X, start a console and try to run fgl_glxgears and I get the following errors... Any ideas? AND also, how do I know if it worked...if it's actually running the new ATI drivers?

[root@localhost bin]# ./fgl_glxgears

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

Serial number of failed request: 31

Current serial number in output stream: 31

Edited by jagibbs

You don't need to be root to run fgl_glxgears neither to do you have to be in the /bin directory.

Just try runing it as a normal user (you) but leave out the

./

just type

fgl_glxgears

If it works, you get a 3D moving colour display box in your consol.

Ok I worked with the instructions and everything went well until i went to the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdirectory and tried to run make.sh The following error occured:

initializing...

kernel includes at /usr/src/linux/include not found or incomplete

file:/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h

I've looked at the readme on ATI, and it says I need to install the source code for linux. Unfotuanatly I have no clue what to do. If the above solution is right, please help me do it, if not, please help me fix the problem. Every minute is another minute I can't play my 3d games. :furious3:

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

I installed the source for the linux via the cd but while some problems have been solved (for instance my computer not loading GUI unless I move the mouse) my 3d graphics SUCK!!!!!! I did everything according to the tutorial above, I restarted the computer, but the 3d graphics get worse and worse. I'm just going to get rid of the drivers and put back xfree86. At least then I could use 3d graphics.

Guest jrmontg

GREAT ARTICLE!!!!

I have done the steps and everything seems to be working. However, I get this error when I run

$ fgl_glxgears

Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)

Serial number of failed request: 31

Current serial number in output stream: 31

What in the....

Guest Sebastian
I get all the way to the end where I restart X, start a console and try to run fgl_glxgears and I get the following errors... Any ideas?  AND also, how do I know if it worked...if it's actually running the new ATI drivers?

[root@localhost bin]# ./fgl_glxgears

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

Serial number of failed request:  31

Current serial number in output stream:  31

I have exactly the same error coming up while trying to use fgl_glxgears.

fgl_glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)

Serial number of failed request: 33

Current serial number in output stream: 33

But different numbers.

If I try glxgears it works, but only in software mode.

Any ideas?

Sebastian

Guest Sebastian

The problem gets solved for me if I use

OpenGL version string: 1.3.4641 (X4.3.0-3.14.1).

This is the 3.14.1 version of the ati-driver. The latest 3.14.6 won't work.

Sebastian

The problem gets solved for me if I use

OpenGL version string: 1.3.4641 (X4.3.0-3.14.1).

This is the 3.14.1 version of the ati-driver. The latest 3.14.6 won't work.

Sebastian

I'm using the ATI X300 card, and the 3.14.1 version wouldn't work for me, but the 3.14.6 works a treat. (with the 4.3 .0 version of xfree)

If I understand the end of the first post correctly, does this mean the ATI driver is hardcoded to read something from /etc/X11/XF86Config ? If so, a more elegant solution under 10.0 up would be:

# cd /etc/X11

# ln -s xorg.conf XF86Config

xorg.conf is the true config file for x.org. XF86Config-4, since we switched to xorg, is just a symlink to xorg.conf. Creating a symlink is more elegant because now the file the ATI driver reads will always be in sync with the actual file X uses, rather than being a copy of it made at one specific point in time.