Maximize disk space for install

Crashdamage

Got a used Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop with WinXP Pro SP2 loaded (aaack!) and some good software installed. Has a 13G HD but only using just over 3G, so there's enough room to setup a dual-boot XP/10.1 system. But friggin' XP has files scattered over about the 1st 2/3 of the disk. What I'd like to do is shove everything to the front to maximize available space for 10.1 and a FAT32 data partition. Defragging of course doesn't do that completely, and Google searches have turned up various conflicting opinions on whether or not it can even be done.

When in doubt, I trust the people here, so...

I do have DOS version of Partition Magic 8 (ugh) on 2 floppy discs. Maybe that would be of some use - I hear PM will move files for repartitioning, but the Mandrake installer will not. I don't want to take chances with the XP installation as some of the installed software I can't reload. Is there a safe way to do this or not?

I don't think there is a really safe way to do it. See if windows will make a new partition for itself. It does indeed load data on both extremes of the partition, which makes working with it difficult.

I've used these PM 8 DOS diskettes to repartition my old Compaq laptop, and it worked nicely.

PM reduced the XP partition to 50% of the total disk size, and I used the free space to install MDK 10.0. And yes, PM does move data to shrink the partition.

However, I remember another experience with PM 8 on a laptop running XP. First, it failed to reduce the XP partition, and the only reason it gave was something about "not able to move non movable files".

So I rebooted XP, switched off virtual memory, and rebooted again to make sure pagefile.sys has been deleted (this non movable file usually sits at the end of the main XP partition). Then I booted with the PM 8 diskette and this time it did it. Then I booted XP again, switched on virtual memory and the pagefile.sys file was recreated at the end of the resized NTFS partition.

I always keep these PM 8 diskettes. There are also very useful to convert NTFS to FAT32 (and back). But be careful when running PM 8 on a system with ext3 or jfs partitions, as it may suggest you to fix "a problem" found in Linux partition identification. Just reply "No".

In other words, I never had a problem with PM 8 tempering with Windows partitions, but I would not use it to play around with Linux partitions. Linux has plenty of good tools to do it by itself!

Anyway, EVERY update of the partition table should begin with a backup of your valuable data!

Edited by Pierre Baco

Thanks Pierre. Believe me, I have no intention of letting Partion Muck-up fool with anything except creating a FAT32 partition. I'll let the Mandrake installer take care of creating the Linux partitions. I'll probably wait to do this 'til 10.1 Official is released, but I am gonna give it a try. Too bad, but my broadband wireless modem (which I'm posting with now) is sure to not be supported yet.

I always keep these PM 8 diskettes. There are also very useful to convert NTFS to FAT32 (and back). But be careful when running PM 8 on a system with ext3 or jfs partitions, as it may suggest you to fix "a problem" found in Linux partition identification. Just reply "No".

In other words, I never had a problem with PM 8 tempering with Windows partitions, but I would not use it to play around with Linux partitions. Linux has plenty of good tools to do it by itself!

:lol2:

that's funny, I always let pm8 fix the errors. I can't see saying no, then using it to change the partition table. Just doesn't sound like a good idea ;) I use pm8 for everything and never let a linux partitioner do anything, especially diskdrake!

Since we accept that there is no 'safe' way to do it. Norton SpeedDisk will move all your files, at least the older versions/win9x would, but you really don't want to put linux before xp anyway....xp doesn't like that....and can it?....I thought it had to have the first primary for the ntldr?

Well, I've heard (and seen) some rear horror stories with Partiton Magic. I never use it for anything but very simple tasks. This chore is really pushing the limits of what I'd try to do with it. I don't trust it as far as I could throw the floppies, much less to 'fix' errors. More like create 'em...

What Pierre said sound about right, XPee sticks a 'pagefile.sys' file at the end, and I've heard of doing what he described somewhere else. Just didn't really believe it 'til now. But if I can get PM8 to move everything towards the front without trashing things, it should work. I'll leave XP on a 5-6G NTFS partition, about 1G Fat32 for shared data, and 5-6G for the Linux install.

But where did you get the idea I was trying to install Linux before WinXP? I'm not crazy yet. A dim bulb,yeah, but not crazy.

guess I'm a dim bulb to :P

It's interesting to hear ppl say, 'I wouldn't use pm8 for' ....and 'I've only used it for simple'...and 'This chore is really pushing the limits of what I'd try to do with it. I don't trust it as far as I could throw the floppies, much less to 'fix' errors. More like create 'em...'

etc....

etc.......

yeah, and you trust diskdrake? :lol: ...there's a knee slapper

browse this forum a bit and read some linux utils horror stories :lol:

can't put down what you haven't used, just because it's a window app and millions more people use it compared to linux utils and have probs, which is usually caused by the end user :cheesy: ...and just look at the win_end_user ;)

They have to reinstall win every 6 months because they can't maintain it, but they can walk into Fry's and buy pm8, fry their sys, post on a forum and have ppl read the horror...oh, the horror....yup, of a windozer.

BUT, put that fine tool, pm8, in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing, like the sys admins all over the world ;) , and it's an excellent tool.

I've probably moved, resized/moved, optimized, etc...over 100 partitions in three years and pm8 has never failed, not once. Sure, I've received errors while partitioning but the OS's booted w/o error and w/o fail even after receiving errors doing the partitiong. When I began to trust linux utils is when my troubles started, because linux utils do not abide by the standard when concerning a dualboot sys. Like it or not, that standard is the win_way of partitioning, and pm8 handles that aspect while linux utils do not.

That's the obvious truth proven by 1000's of post on this forum alone ;)

Well, whatever, point taken. Glad it's been trouble-free for you. You're no doubt right that the huge majority of problems with PM8 are due to operator error. And you're right when you stick a finger in my chest about trashing something I haven't used. I haven't used anything but the DOS version of PM8 myself. But many other *much* more experienced users than I don't trust PM. Just do a Google search. Now I've not had any trouble using the simple DOS version on floppies (or heard of anyone who has), it's certainly been perfectly reliable for simple partitioning of blank drives. But runnning PM from within Windows seems problematic for many people, for whatever reason. Our corporate IT guy, who should be abe to use it blindfolded by now, is disgusted with PM8, just won't use it anymore except for the DOS version. He was saying recently that he was gonna spring for a paid version of Acronis Partition Expert. He tried and liked my free trial version much better and has been using it now when he sets up new servers. But the free version won't do what I need here, so hence my original question about using the DOS PM8 floppies.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with Diskdrake or other Linux tools, but then I've always made basic Fat32/NTFS partitions first with the PM8 floppies or Partion Expert and then just let the installer do Linux partitions from there. I figure it makes simple sense to use Windoze tools for Windoze partitions and Linux tools for Linux partitions. I've never used PM or Diskdrake to split a HD with an existing Windoze install - well, except the very 1st time I installed Linux, Mandrake 8.0, I let Disdrake do all the work on an existing Win98 system. IOW, I've kept it real simple, never tried to do anything tricky like this XP-notebook thing with either PM or Diskdrake (or whatever Linux tools in a given distro). Seems I"ll get my chance now.

Hey, anyone know how to make a bootable CD from the 2 PM8 DOS floppies so I can use it without a floppy drive, either from a Linux burner or Nero? I tried making a bootable image but I can't get it to work.