Webcams and Mandrake10

LTD602

I'm looking to buy a webcam to use with Mandrake10

Anyone have any experience with this? Compatibility problems, etc. ?

If it's a USB device (proabaly will be) it might be a bit finicky, and might be a pain to mount it, I suppose.

Thanks.

Edited by LTD602

I hunted around a bit and found that Creative webcams are a pain.

Other than that, it seems like hit-or-miss.

Basicaly, all I want to use the webcam as is a low-cost camera, jist to take photos of me. I'm not sure how that is done, but I assume that I'll point it at my face or whatever, see it show up on the desktop or in the appropriate app, and somehow save that image, or even do a screenshot.

Does this make sense?

Yeah, I use(d) my webcam in the same way.

Read my site on which cam I have and how to set it up.

Lots of affordable webcams use Philips chips, and the quality isn't half bad.

There was a closed source driver, now they have reverse engineered it. Again, more info on my website, configuration page.

Programs to make a pic: camstream, SDLcam, and (naturally) others...

You can record video with mencoder (from the mplayer team).

There was a closed source driver, now they have reverse engineered it. Again, more info on my website, configuration page.

Philips webcams are no longer supported in reent kernel versions PWC stopped being included in it,...

so pay attention on that, it may work now, it may not wokr in next MDK version

i have the same camera as Relic2K & it's worked fine for me in all versions of MDK from 9.0, onward. plug in the usb, it's detected, it works. no fiddling with any setup or configs. not the best picture quality in the world, but it ain't bad either.

Chris

Philips webcams are no longer supported in reent kernel versions PWC stopped being included in it,...

so pay attention on that, it may work now, it may not wokr in next MDK version

I have on my website the drivers for pwc cams that do full vga resolution, both for 10.1 CE and OE. No closed source version (pwcx) is necessary anymore. I also have links to the website of the developer and instructions on how to build from source.

In the future, this may first go into the kernel tree, but eventually there should be a lib to handle decompression (necessary for the usb 1.1 bus - which is bandlimited at 12mbit/s).

I have followed the related kernel discussions...

The reason this may first go into the kernel tree is that currently, no app is aware of any decompression since they all already got decompressed by the driver(s). So gnomemeeting, SDLcam, camstream etc have to be made aware of this new lib they need for high resolution modes...

Trust me, the closed source pwcx driver has been successfully reverse engineered and so in the future those cams will for sure work.

If they will work out of the box with any kernel is another thing, but like I said, you can find the driver on my website, config page.

Plus, the source is now out in the open. No way that will ever really disappear.