defragmentation software in Linux?

solarian

Hey!

I know that Linux partitons generally don't need a defrag, but I have 3 mounted FAT partitions and I'm sure that they need to be defragged,

so is there any defragmentation software on Linux and if there is, which is the best?

thanx!

Why do you have 3 mounted FAT partitions on a linux computer? Do you still have a windows partition that you can boot into mounted somewhere as well?

My guess is that there is probably not any defrag software that will run on linux as it is not a really big need. However, this is an interesting question. I am thinking of putting together a linux server. Part of that server will be a backup drive. If I format this drive ext2,3,or reiserfs and the main drive dies, I am screwed in that I will not be able to take the backup drive and stick it into a windows computer and access the information.

However, if I format it for FAT, then I run the risk of it slowing down do to increased fragmentation. However, the drive is connected to a linux computer so the option to defrag it does not exist.

I guess I go with ext3 and if the linux machine dies, I use Knoppix to recover the data.

There are drivers for ext2/3 for Windows, you know...

Check this out:

sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

And there are others ... I find them very useful when I'm in Windows so I can access Linux files quickly.

The problem is I have no Windows partition. Those 3 FAT partitions are from the days long ago when I still had windows. :(

And those partitons have become dead slow..... :wall:

Of course I could back them up and change to ext3, but those are 120gb and I have no dvd burner

ouch....

it is a lot of hassle but FAT is slow anyway!

How about borrowing a disk or space from a friend etc. to give you the time to start again... at least you could do partition by partition ...

My general rule is to use the tools for the OS to do maintainiance of filesystems, so Windows to mess with windows (FAT/NTFS) and linux to mess with everything else! Even if it was possble would you risk it with so much unbacked up data????