home network

Guest c_m_f

hi,

ive been using mandrake for about a month now, but i so far havn't found a straight forward tutorial or means to setup a home network for file and printer sharing and also internet connection sharing, so could anybody here explain how i would go about this or how point me in the right direction?!

the specs are:

2 machines both mdk 9

both intel network cards

gateway serial modem dial up

if anymore is need just ask but i really need to find out how, dont mind the means aslong as its just follow instructions not work everything out, and thanks in advance for help!

• 2 weeks later...

To share an internet connection look in the Mandrake Control Centre under the Network section. There's a wizard there that should setup internet connection sharing, although I've never used it.

To share files you could try NFS (Network File Sharing) which is actually very straight forward to use. If you need help setting this up just ask.

You could also try NIS (Network Information Service) which allows you to share users and passwords between the computers, although this may be overkill for a home network (but then I'm the type of guy that likes playing with these things for fun :D).

Finally if you setup your printer using CUPS and install CUPS on the second machine it will automatically be shared between the two computers.

I am trying to get a printer working between MDK 9.0 and Min Me I have samba installed and cups samba sees the Win Me box and can even see the My Documents dir. but no files in it.

As far as the printer goes I have had no luck at all

I have made sure that Windoze has file and print sharing enabled I also have MS home networking running.

In printer drake I have tried to have it detect the printer I have entered the IP of the Win box the share name and entered the samba host name.

I have verified that the printer itself is set to share.

Any ideas on what I am missing?

ump