Partition size help

Guest BethanyM

Guest BethanyM

ok, so I installed mandrake 10.0 and everything seemed fine until I realized that the partition size was way smaller than I wanted it to be. So, back in Windows XP (since I;m running a dual boot) I run partition magic 8.0 and try to resize the partition. But I keep getting this error:

error.png

Do I reinstall Mandrake or what?

Mandrake already has these types of utilities. They are used via gui in the Mandrake Control Center.

Out of curiosity, why did you use ext2?

Guest BethanyM

The GUI huh? I can't install KDE or any of the main GUIs. I had to install some lame one since I didn't have enough disk space. even so, where would I be able to run drakdisk?

As for using ext2, I use ext3 but for some reason in that error message it says ext2.

Guest BethanyM

Hmmm... I found that I had some free space on my hard drive that did not belong to any partitions, so I tried to take that free space and add it to the ext3 partitions, and then I get this error:

"Error #1232

Free blocks count wrong"

Hmmm. It looks like the real problem is the partition table has errors. Since xp is on the drive, I would be tempted to use the windows utilities to verify the table. Unfortunately, I have noticed that most of the partition table errors seem to occur when windows is present on the drive. It's one of the reasons many of us recommend using linux on a different physical drive, so that the odd windows idiosyncracies don't mess with linux.

Using any windows utility wil no doubt fudge linux, since it is designed to do that. (Not just linux but anything not windows) You may find windows thinks everything is fine! It's a good reason to set a drive up with a utility prior to installation.

In windows, there is a swap place or virtual disk area. That should be turned to 0 prior to resizing a windows partition. It may account for the odd error. I would then use a windows utility to make a partition and simply leave it unformatted. If windows insists on formatting, use fat32.

Using linux to make his partition may ruin the windows installation.