Info: Kernel 2.5 may become 3.0, not 2.6

Been playing with 2.5 for a while, lots of problems, bugs etc, couldn't get much to work, however, its big plus is its speed, noticeably faster than the 2.4 series, 3 maybe a worthy number.

It will be interesting to see if that actually happens. Only question is: when will the new stable kernel be released. I have been hearing rumours that it might be soon - like in the next 6 months or so. Apparently they are doing some kind of freeze on it as of Oct 31.

Although, I could be entirely wrong about this, it is just something that I read somewhere.

bvc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:32 am Post subject:

I didn't notice as much of an increase as anon, maybe 2x for me.

/qoute

2x? as in twice as fast as in 100% faster?

2x the speed is a HUGE!!!!!!!!!! increase :!:

I really hope your not kidding!

fuzzylizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:21 am Post subject:

It will be interesting to see if that actually happens. Only question is: when will the new stable kernel be released. I have been hearing rumours that it might be soon - like in the next 6 months or so. Apparently they are doing some kind of freeze on it as of Oct 31.

/qoute

well 31 of October is a monumental date as its my birthday :P

Yes 2x, but though I did specify "for me" I failed to mention that this observation is against the default install of 8.1 with kernel-2.4.8-26mdk b4 all optimizations. Point being, I didn't have to do anything to the 2.5 which was very nice, it just wasn't stable.

Guest ++LinuxPunk++

I haven't tried the latest 2.5x kernels, last one i tried was something like 2.5.30 or something. Anyways, I've heard that the newest release in the 2.5.x series has some major IDE fixes and a bunch of other new stuff, so it might be worth looking at.