Need Help!

steve_c

Hi all - eager to get started - downloaded a mandrake 10 official file - unzipped and I have Mandrakelinux10.0-Official-Download-CD1-3.md5 and 3 directoried - CD1, CD2 and CD3 - I tried just burning CD1 using NERO data CD and it won't boot - I can't see any ISO files anywhere - please don't tell me I have to download it all again!?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Hi all - eager to get started - downloaded a mandrake 10 official file - unzipped and I have Mandrakelinux10.0-Official-Download-CD1-3.md5 and 3 directoried - CD1, CD2 and CD3 - I tried just burning CD1 using NERO data CD and it won't boot - I can't see any ISO files anywhere - please don't tell me I have to download it all again!?

Did you check the MD5SUM for the ISOs?

Anyway, some drives sometimes do not recognize CD1 as bootable (dont know why), you can use CD2 and once it has boot change it to CD1.

You cant see any ISO files? What do you mean? Do you have the isos or not?

Can you see any files/directories on the CD1 that you've burned??

I tried just burning CD1 using NERO data CD and it won't boot

Oh yeah, im sorry i didnt realize, Ixthusdan is right, you should burn them as iso images and not as data cds :oops: The problem i mentioned is known to have happened to many -including me- thats why i rapidly though it was the same one.

I've deleted the ISOs now - what a nightmare - is there not anything else I can do?

I would say youll have to d/l the isos again, but cant tell for sure...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

I dont understand why u (had to) unzipped anything. The files you downloaded should be iso files ie being an image of an entire cd. the purpose thereof is using the burning software to create an exact copy of the original cd's, hence no unzipping or anything else is needed.. Could you please post a link to the files you downloaded?

I can't remember now - they *were* isos - I realise that now - the only thing I overlooked is that winrar is associated with ISO files which I completely forgot and just took them to be archived files such as zip or rar so went ahead and unzipped them and delted what I thought to be rars or zips. So now I have 2 gigs of files which are pretty much useless I guess.... Unless anyone has any other ideas?

:wall:

For the next time, if you happen to d/l the isos again, to check wheter the sums are ok or not do in a console:

md5sum -c name_of_md5_file.md5

For it to work you need to have the .md5 file and all ISOs in your working directory.

Regards.

P.S.:Ooops! error again, i didnt realize youre on windows, im trying to find out how to do it and post it in a minute...

P.S.S.: Here you are... In windows you need to d/l an application to do the md5sum, you can get this one for free. Then you need to have all ISOs and md5 file in same directory and double-click the md5 -which will open with that program- and itll start checking the images for you.

Edited by feralertx