If Mandrake Went "Away"

Guest Snump

Well, Redhat hasn't been bought out, you might be thinking of Suse.

And mandrake is NO were near being even remotly possible to put in the Corprate world, to bleeding/cutting for corprate world.

:P

yep but for me Suse isn't going to teach you much....

Its like two different experience levels...

1) use it as it is and don't use any external RPM's... great but what do you learn except sticking in the install DVD.. YAST teaches you nothing about linux....

2) Once you wanna customise it is sucks... even have to remove xine becuase its deliberately crippled to prevent libdvdcss working and reinstall one.. then unless you use apt4rpm you are stuck with a) dep hell and B) Suse's stupid /opt crap...

Even hand modding files .. all of them carry warnings not to.... 

Id give suse to my mum but not someone who really wants to learn linux!

Now hold on a second....I don't know if I totally agree with that. I used MDK from 8.2 (briefly...installed it right before I got a copy of Mandy 9..I was a newbie moving from windows & still have a long way to go before I am close to being an expert) to 9.1 then switched to SuSE 9.0. I've found that SuSE is pretty much comparable to Mandrake...the learning curve seems the same to me for both distros.

The first thing I had to do after installing SuSE was manually edit my XF86Config file so my dual monitors/dual video cards would work..couldn't do this with YaST or SaX..they would both fail to make it happen. This wasn't a problem for me though since I couldn't do this in Mandy either without using the CLI to edit my XF86Config-4 file..I had to learn this the hard way with Mandy because it would boot into X on my second monitor with the wrong settings giving me no display on my primary monitor & a "out of sync" error on my secondary monitor..... I still get the same error today on alot of live CDs including MandrakeMove, PClinuxOS, & the SuSE 9.2 KDE liveCD. But thanks to my experience with Mandrake & SuSE I know how to fix it.... BTW any Knoppix based CD detects my primary monitor fine.

I'm still running SuSE 9.0 now and will probably keep it after 9.2 is released. I've spent way to much time tweaking my box to start over now. It's been updated to the 2.6.4-52 kernel (I know..It's not the bleeding edge, but it runs fantastic on my P4 2ghz & is quite the upgrade from the 2.4.21 kernel that came with 9.0) & pretty much everything 9.1 has. I'm running a bastardised version of KDE 3.2 w/ the 3.3 devel files because I've been too lazy to update completely to 3.3, but needed the files to compile some apps.

Regarding your Xine comment...Yes Dammit!!!!! the SuSE disabled installed version sucks. I removed it quick!!! On Mandy I was able to go to PLF and get what I needed to play my DVDs....On SuSE I had to learn to build a libdvdcss RPM (http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=122)...something I'm pretty sure your "mum" wouldn't want to do to make her DVDs play on her computer.

And regarding "Suse's stupid /opt crap..." If I remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) to compile a KDE app for Mandrake you had to make sure to use ./configure --prefix=/usr. How is this different from ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde3 ?

Please don't take this post as trolling or think I am trying to start anyhing here. I found this forum when I started out with Mandrake & still come here because this is one of the best around. It's just that I don't have a problem when the Slack or Gentoo guys say SuSE isn't gonna teach you much...Right on! I respect all you hardcore guys! You have a perfectly tweaked system. I just don't have that kind of time/dedication..I want my system working NOW..That's why I've been drawn to distros like MDK & SUSE. But I really feel Mandy & SuSE have alot in common.......both are fantastic distros that you can do as little or as much as you want to with..........It's all up to to the guy at the other end of the keyboard..........

Edited by Bam

well.... when i started with redhat, i was using gnome primarily but then, i didn`t really know that there was also kde. and i didn`t think of doing anything to my box (complete noob). then i got my hands on suse and i found out very fast where kde and gnomes files were located (/opt/kde...). i started to tweak some things and was hapy. when i switched from suse to other distros like mandrake, it took me a hell of time to find the bloody kde and gnome folders. sure, suses way of putting both desktops in /opt is a nice idea but imho it will only cause confusion once you switch to another distro.

Guest Rip Kevlar

No Mandrake, then Ubuntu or if Yoper gets going maybe that in Gnome flavour.

Personally I like MDK, like PCLinuxOS alot as well, Texstar sure spends a lot iof time making that BETA better and better.

No Mandrake, then Ubuntu or if Yoper gets going maybe that in Gnome flavour.

Personally I like MDK, like PCLinuxOS alot as well, Texstar sure spends a lot iof time making that BETA better and better.

i have used ubuntu from the very first day it came out and although it should be a noob-friendly distro, it is far away from it. same goes for yoper. the install procedure is too difficult for a noob imho, just like setting up a usable network or administrating user rights (which noob will ever get used/understand the concept of "sudo"?). also: there are way too many bugs in yoper (especially with apt-get problems (constant mirror overload)...

Edited by arctic

I would propably use fedora core 3 (I know it is test at the momment but it still seems to be better then core 3) This is because it is remarkably similar to mandrake which i have been using for about four years although i still only regard myself as intermediate level. It is also because i use redhat for my course at uni however i have never particularly liked redhat so it is close enough for me to use for uni work.

Probably Debian, which I play with often (Sarge with the 2.6.8 kernel). From time to time I consider switching from Mandrake because the 6 month new install cycles drive me mad, but 10.0 is running nicely (although not as niecely as Debian) and it is very stable. I don't count myself as anything like an expert, but the Debian installation was never a big deal, just know what you have.

I've never understood why people dis the debian installer. Can't people use their keybaoard? The ONLY time I have ever been thrown for a loop was with the new debian_network_install. It required specifying the partitions with

/dev/bla/bla/bla/luno/0($&^^@#^&

...sheesh, what's wrong with hda# and hdb# etc...

...so I just had to put on my linux 'got root?' hat and think for a second. Other than that a deb install is just another linux install with a keyboard.

Edited by bvc

i agree, the debian installer is not difficult to use once you know what you are doing. but as far as i know, mandrake tries to drive the masses away from windows and thus is a "noob-distro" (although it is very powerful and complex once you get to know it ;)). my experience is also that most windows users do not know anything about operating systems and partitions (just ask my girlfriend :D). so i tend to say that most users would be lost with debian asking them where to create the root, home or swap-partition. they would start crying and throw the comp away i guess.

personally i do like debian a lot but i still wouldn't throw it at a noob. ;)

Edited by arctic

My first goal is to have a machine that works without too much fuss (MDK 10 was quite a bit of fuss, lm_sensors took forever to get working, I still can't sue the KDE desktop sharing, oh, and there was also that bug in printerdrake...)

My next goal is to learn something in the process, which usually involves a bit of fussing...

I'm guessing I'd first try SUSE since I have it on DVD (never installed it) and I hear it works pretty much out of the box (although will it do everything I want it to?)

My next choice would probably be FC2 or 3 because let's face it, just about everything is built for it and I still prefer to install rpms than compiling everything.

The next choice would probably be Gentoo, if I'm going to have to compile, might as well compile it all right? Probbly a pretty good distro for learning, but I'm worried it mught be too much fuss...