If Mandrake Went "Away"

Guest Snump

I'm in the process of installing Mandrake 10. I was using Fedora Core 2 and wasn't very impressed. I used Mandrake 9 and liked it allot, until I fried my botherboard installing a fan. One little slip with a screwdriver and that board goes to motherboard heaven. Anyway, my question is this. If Mandrake did not exust which distro would you go with?

My first choice would probably FC2, since I'm somewhat familiar with it. IMO I think yum is a bit less cumbersom than urpmi, but that could be that I'm just learning how to use it.

meh, ubuntu's the new distro in town...so you'll get a lot of people saying that one. For ease of use, FC2, for learning and fun, Arch Linux. If you have patience, Gentoo.

Edited by tyme

Different distro's for different things...

1) Shere number of packages and ease of use : Debian pretty much everything just works in stable..

2) Most fun: Probably arch or gentoo, posibly slackware : nothing works but making it work is easy

3) Boring/stead but faultless Suse - just works but changing it is harder

Mandrake is a nice into distro for those who wanna learn linux as opposed to those who just want it to work .. although its slipping fast for me.

Most fun: Probably arch or gentoo, posibly slackware : nothing works but making it work is easy

you can add vidalinux to this list ;)

for a noob, i would say: stick to suse. once you are familiar with the general way linux works, grab something like kanotix or mepis and once you know your way around a linux-distro, head to slackware, debian or gentoo/vidaliux.

Most fun: Probably arch or gentoo, posibly slackware : nothing works but making it work is easy

you can add vidalinux to this list ;)

for a noob, i would say: stick to suse. once you are familiar with the general way linux works, grab something like kanotix or mepis and once you know your way around a linux-distro, head to slackware, debian or gentoo/vidaliux.

yep but for me Suse isn't going to teach you much....

Its like two different experience levels...

1) use it as it is and don't use any external RPM's... great but what do you learn except sticking in the install DVD.. YAST teaches you nothing about linux....

2) Once you wanna customise it is sucks... even have to remove xine becuase its deliberately crippled to prevent libdvdcss working and reinstall one.. then unless you use apt4rpm you are stuck with a) dep hell and B) Suse's stupid /opt crap...

Even hand modding files .. all of them carry warnings not to....

Id give suse to my mum but not someone who really wants to learn linux!

Fedora Fedora Fedora (Thats Fedora Core 3...)

I'm running solely Core 2 now, having binned Mandrake. Fedora is so fast, smart and clean for me, and soo damned easy to work with... even more Gnome is the default dm, so its been well setup within Fedora, and I love Gnome :D - makes KDE look too horibly clunky :P

So in conclusion, Fedora I think, and seeing as I use it now instead of Mandrake...

Fedora Fedora Fedora (Thats Fedora Core 3...)

I'm running solely Core 2 now, having binned Mandrake. Fedora is so fast, smart and clean for me, and soo damned easy to work with... even more Gnome is the default dm, so its been well setup within Fedora, and I love Gnome :D - makes KDE look too horibly clunky :P

So in conclusion, Fedora I think, and seeing as I use it now instead of Mandrake...

Wait tell fc3 comes out, it is going to be much faster than 2! ;)

For me, I use/like Ubuntu and Fedora(rawhide)

Ubuntu for stable and just sheer elegance.

Rawhide to cure my bleeding edge desires.

:D

PCLInuxOS for me, which is what I am using already, while I like MDK a lot, I really appreciate the personal attention one gets with this distro as well as it is very cutting edge, packages are usually in unstable within a day of release. Very Cool!

I have tried and was also very pleased with Ubuntu, although I missed the system configuration simplicity of PCLOS and MDK.

Capn

The reason I asked, is that I'm going to FC2. I like Mandrake allot, but I'm trying other distros. I like yum better than urpmi.

Also, doesn't Mandrake pride itself on being the "corporate" distro of Linux? I mean, I think its more geared towards ease of use than development - not to say that stuff can't be done on there.

So IMO that makes Mandrake ripe for some sort of buy out similar to what happened with Redhat.