Wine with existing Windows

Guest mythief

Guest mythief

i wanted to try wine in linux ( MDK 10.1 ) coz i need to run Matlab for my homework. i downloaded wine-20040914-mdk.i586.rpm and i istalled it. then i try to some *.exe files. some of them are ok. and i thought that everything was going ok. i think it created a directory .wine in /home/mythief/ like /home/mythief/.wine so in console i wrote

# cd /home/thief/.wine/drive_c/windows

# wine notepad.exe

and then notepad was opened. everything was ok. :banana:

later i tried to install photoshop and isntalled , wine added a directory called wine->programs to menu. i clicked wine->programs-> Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and it wasnt opened. i tried everything also notepad.exe but all of them wasnt worked. i didnt understand what 's wrong?

Do you have any idea ? pls help me i wanna do my homework in linux? :screwy::wall:

meanwhile is it possible to use some of exe files which is installed under existing windows. coz i have both of linux and windows xp on my comupter. i dont want to install all of progrrams double times for win xp and linux. for example if i installed photoshop in win xp could i use it by wine without installing it again under linux.

:thanks:

Moved from Software Forum to Emulation Forum by Artificial Intelligence

Edited by mythief

as long as the windows drive is mounted and you can access it you should be able to run programs on your XP install with wine. have you tried running photoshop from the command line like you did notepad? you may have more success that way, or atleast be able to see any errors.

oh, and welcome to the board :banana:

Edited by tyme

Guest mythief

well thank you very much for your answer but how can i configure wine for exiting windows ? i dont know anything about wine ? meanwhile i could run photoshop this time....

You don't need to do any special configuration - just mount your windows partition, which might look something like:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc /mnt/windows

Then just navigate to where on that drive the executable is and run it using wine - as you did with notepad