Can't find X includes (Mandrake 10.1)

Guest mythief

My answer was exactly relevant to your problem; it told you exactly how to setup your system so that you would be *able to download and install the necessary development libraries with no hassle*. BTW, the 'average user' you talk about would likely have no need whatsoever to install said development libraries, because they wouldn't be writing their own code or attempting to build kdevelop from scratch, would they?

1. I've used Mandrake for a few years, never paid for a version. Sounds like free to me.

2. You can take an open source projectd published under the GPL licence and use the source code to develop your own source (again under the GPL licence). That is collaboration and a very large number of projects have quickly expanded in such a fashion.

3. Linux is still in a state of evolution. The "everyone does it there own way" is recognized as a problem and there are drives to move to a standard. Problem with M$ is the standard is their standard and only their standard. Take a look at the file systems offered by M$ (NTFS, FAT32 derivatives). Look at Linux... There's a list somewhere, a long list. M$'s OS works but in many cases has lead to stagnation. You can't distribute your own copy of windows with your own enhancements. You can't see the source code (unless its stolen).

I personally think you are looking at a mountain with a magnifying glass. You spend more time with linux and learn the ropes and you will have a better understanding of it. It's a BIG field.

Regarding Visual Studios, it is a very good piece of software. But you can't get around the fact that you are "trained" for VS. To program on Linux, you need to "train" for a different environment and you are not limited to just one of a few major players.

Some places to look at..

www.sourceforge.net

www.freshmeat.net

These are open source depositories where collaboration and storage of open source projects are managed. Available to all.

BTW, you are not too happy with how responses are made to your problems. It's just communication. You have been working for 3 days on something and you have to describe where you are at so others can help you. But your descriptions are very general. If you give a summary of what you are doing, what you have tried (with copy/paste from your screen or screen snapshots), then you will get better quality responses.

Thanks!