Can't find X includes (Mandrake 10.1)

Guest mythief

Guest mythief

when i try install kopete 0.9 i wrote console ./configure and then i got this error massage

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

i look at the these paths /usr/include/X11 --> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/ and i couldnt find any think like a header files or libraries so i think i must have XFree86-devel or libxorg-x11-devel and then i searched a little and in the and i found that Mandrake 10.0 uses XFree and Mandrake 10.1 uses Xorg isnt it ?

I'd need the libxorg-x11-devel-<version number> package, not XFree86-devel wouldnt it? for MDK 10.1 the version number must be 6.7.0-2mdk ? is right ? so i downloaded libxorg-x11-devel-6.7.0-2mdk.i586 and then i tried to install it but i got this error massage :oops:

Some package requested cannot be installed:

libxorg-x11-devel-6.7.0-2mdk.i586 (devel(libfreetype) is missing)

are you agree? :screwy:

what must i do ? where can i find devel libfreetype for MDK 10.1 ?

:thanks:

in terminal as root do............. urpmi libfreetype (enter). i'm not sure of the exact version for MDK10.1, but the package will be something like libfreetype6-devel-<version number>mdk. liborgX11 needs that as a dependency.

Chris

Unfortunately, libxorg-x11-devel-6.7.0-2mdk.i586, gcc-c++ and some other packages (for example needed for building rpms) are missing on Community CD's, so you should download all of them from any Mandrake mirror.

ftp://ftp.chg.ru/.1/Linux/Mandrakelinux/d...586/media/main/

http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/dis...586/media/main/

be aware and check that package versions are the same with installed in your system

Guest Maximus

Thanks. But when I tried to install it said "Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected: libxorg-x11-devel-6.7.0-2mdk." I'm a linux newbie so I don't really understand what it says.

• 1 month later...

Please be serious!

OK I am new to Linux I am programming on windows and make a good living from it to. Now I installed Mandrake Linux 10 in order to make Linux versions of my work. I admit the installation was not that hard! It is what happens after installing that is the hell! It took me howers to recompile the GCC compiler. But then I figured it out eventually.

Installing KDevelop is something else. Then this can't find X includes start. Maybe I see the lite later. But is it to much asked to have things installing on a normal smote way? Or atleast a step by step solution, that people can understand!.

Can someone PLEASE explain me what to do to overcome this problem, and not in 1000 little parts of the solution where you can't make your way thro. But in a complete explanation!

Anyhow one of the things I will work on after I get this up, is a way to install software normal people can understand to!

Linda

edited by anon

can you please state exactly what you need step by step instructions for:

problems with KDevelop are probably the library files used ...it is quite reliant on Qt as an IDE and installing this can be a hassle....

However if you can give specific errors we can be more specific in answers

can you please state exactly what you need step by step instructions for:   

problems with KDevelop are probably the library files used ...it is quite reliant on Qt as an IDE and installing this can be a hassle.... 

However if you can give specific errors we can be more specific in answers 

Well let me explain it like this. I have the same thing almost everybody that want to install graphical software in Linux hat. LOL If you look it up on the web it looks like that to be honest. I have the cant find X include error while using the configure. Here is that part of the log.

checking for shl_unload in -ldld... no 

checking for size_t... yes 

checking size of size_t... 4 

checking for unsigned long... yes 

checking size of unsigned long... 4 

checking sizeof size_t == sizeof unsigned long... yes 

checking crt_externs.h usability... no 

checking crt_externs.h presence... no 

checking for crt_externs.h... no 

checking for _NSGetEnviron... no 

checking for vsnprintf... yes 

checking for snprintf... yes 

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths! 

Everything is OK till there. Now I already know I need to install the devel labara! The problem I have is where to find it, and how to install it in the fastest and most easy way. I come from Visual Studio and I am complete new into Linux.

By the way I am Linda from Belgium, was working at MS for a long time til I became sic an now want a different flavor of programming. If I can get it running that is. LOL I like the free C++ compiler by the way, but a visual envirroment for working is not a big lux.

Linda

OK , this is a bit of a guess.

First tho what are you trying to run the configure on?

My guess what happened is it is checking for the presence of XFree86 the 'old' windows manager. Now after 10 years+ of using it the project changed its licencing and for one reason or another most distro's change to X.org !

This is like linux history 101 but if your coming from WinWorld it isn't so obvious.

So somewhere in the .configure script is probably a check... if you have say X.org devel installed then it might just be looking for the name of some lib which has a direct equivalent.

However in general.... installing devel stuff in linux is already more or less done except for the libs. If you have the space then clicking the development tab during install is a good idea just to save probs later but ....

the biggest tip is to install using URPMI ..

I realise you probably wanna recompile gcc (as a developer) but there is little need ..at least until you are more comfortalbe and have things working elsewhere.

This sets up the sources for all the dependencies and it then just automatically gets them in 90%+ of cases. Linus is different to Windows and getitng used to the differences before trying to jump in with both feet is recommended but not always possible!

Occaisionally you might not find all the deps in URPMI due to various reasons, probably the most common of which is they are under updating... with a newer version and if you wait a day it will prob be OK.

You can look on rpmfind.net in these cases but its not recommended ....

lindyh: Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow through the steps there. Make sure you pick the exact version of Mandrake you are using, and click the tick-boxes for main, contrib and plf. Run the commands it gives you. From now on urpmi or rpmdrake (the graphical software installer) should be able to find all dependencies you need. Downloading RPMs manually should never be necessary, even with the 10.1CE CDs problem.

lindyh: Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow through the steps there. Make sure you pick the exact version of Mandrake you are using, and click the tick-boxes for main, contrib and plf. Run the commands it gives you. From now on urpmi or rpmdrake (the graphical software installer) should be able to find all dependencies you need. Downloading RPMs manually should never be necessary, even with the 10.1CE CDs problem.

Well sorry guy's with all respect!

But this has no use. If you don't see the problem there is none. How can you get more Linux users if it is not more user friendly? This is also not about me, and the fact I need to learn how to walk before I can run. I understand that and this is also not the problem. The big problem is Linux. I was reading the web postings about my problem with the X libray's. Maybe you don't know but please do the same you will be surpised. Lots of people have the same, and when you read the answers, you only find responses like other people have it to. But nobody is giving more information then other problems, or installing things that don't help.

All the time I was working for Microsoft, I hear Linux users freak out over MS. Telling they don't understand why people take OS software like Windows. Well I can tell you, and just because of my experience the last week. In order to install something simple like a visual programming enviroment things get hard! When I ask advise its more like people don't even read what I ask! Just a few quotes! My original message told you.

It took me howers to recompile the GCC compiler. But then I figured it out eventually. 

One of the answers I get is this.

I realise you probably wanna recompile gcc (as a developer) but there is little need ..at least until you are more comfortalbe and have things working elsewhere.

The compiler is not the issue here! I already recompiled that! Its not that easy tho. Because also there are some minor incompatibility problems. But that is console work no problem to find things out there. On my real question I only had the answer, they where using xFree for 10 years and now changed to something else. Well this really gives information and thank you for that. But it really don't fix the problem. The next thing I get is a bunch of information about how to install something completely different, but no info about how that can fix the only problem I have. Installing KDevelop, its also not only this program that has the problem, I read about a few 100 GUI applications all having the same.

The fact they changed things in the OS, don't concerns me as a User to be honest. Now you can tell lots of things about MS, but I know one thing for sure. When we changed things our major concerns where how to have it downward compatible!!

Another big problem with Linux I noticed is the fact of all the different versions, with zero compatability. That is also why most Graphical User Interface driven software need to be recompiled instead of just installed. Now I don't mind, and you don't mind. But we are computer freaks! How can you convince a User not to use MS Windows whit a big problem like this?

And lets be real! Free software? I seen that mandrake powerpac is sold for something between 79$ up to 445$ I don't call that free software. Sure you have the free version, but first thing you see then is a message to make yourself a member of the club for 106$ a year. For that you can enter the mirror where you can download the latest RPM's.

Linux is compatible sure! In console mode! But how many day by day users you know that do everything in console mode?

Linda

Ps: This is not personal, nor is it ageanst those people that atleast did a effort to help! It is just because I am so disappointed in something I was thinking something that wood be good. 3 days of work for installing something is a bit much for me.