x won't start anymore

Just brought home a new JVC 23" LCD TV. It has an input for a monitor cable so it can be used as a computer monitor. I hooked up my cableTV cable to the TV, connected my FC2 box to the TV with a monitor cable, and then plugged the TV in.

The TV works great. However, when I started up my linux box, it went thru the normal boot steps, but when it tried to load X, it just gave me errors, and finally just booted to the cli localhost login:

Hopefully X can be easily made to work, but I'm not sure what needs to be done.... Something need to be edited in xorg.conf ? Thanks for any info.

Edited by null

Once i had a similar problem because i switched monitors.

What i did was simple, just deleted xorg.conf and restart, mandrake created a new configuration file and everything worked fine. Obviously i had harddrake runnging, so i suppose there is something similar to that on FC....

You can always try by renaming the file instead of deleting it.

Hope it helps.

Intersting.. I'm using FC2, and have plugged it into my tv too.. what I found odd was that at CLI it runs through the telly using my normal Xorg.conf but using X it goes to the monitor.

There is an article at fedoranews.org regarding setting up monitor & tv out with FC and Xorg, I suggest you read it... when I get home tonight I'll dig out my xorg.conf for you... I have two - one for tv out when I want to watch me dvd's, and one normal "default"

If its XFree86 then I'd just copy my old XF86Config-4 then run

XFree86 --configure...

if this fails its possible your monitor is not giving the correct resolution info out so i'd suggest sticking it in by hand...

I had to do this with my projector and one of my TFT's... it just seems to send out the wrong scan rates so i just typed em in from the manual and bingo!

thanks. I'll look over my TV manual tonight after work. I'll probably post here what my xorg.conf has under the Monitor section, and also post what my TV manual says about Horiz & Vert stuff. I'll back up my xorg.conf file before messing with it, or at least I'll jot down whatever I add or change so I can go back if necessary.

Intersting.. I'm using FC2, and have plugged it into my tv too.. what I found odd was that at CLI it runs through the telly using my normal Xorg.conf but using X it goes to the monitor.

I could live with that. This new LCD TV is the only monitor I am using on my FC2 box though. Yeah - the CLI displays fine on it, but X won't work.

My FX5200 video card didn't come with a booklet, just a small "quick start" card. It does have a TV out connector on it. The LCD TV is connected to the FC2 box with a normal, 15-pin monitor cable though.

My xorg.conf has this in Monitor section:

Identifier "Monitor0"

VendorName "Monitor Vendor"

ModelName "Action Monitor CX-1566"

DisplaySize 260 200

HorizSync 30.0 - 66.0

VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0

Option "dpms"

My old monitor was the Action monitor, so the xorg.conf file is still the same as before. Can you update it automatically? or do you have to manually screw with it?

just an update:

I disconnected everything and moved the LCD TV over to my win2k box and connected it up to that. To make a long story short, it is working great. I'm using Firefox and my LCD on win2k and its great. It is definately a new experience to use a computer with a 23" widescreen monitor...

Unfortunately, I don't really like my win2k box anymore. Its decent, but a few years old. My FC2 box is what I use daily. Guess I'll just use put my old 19" CRT back on my FC2 machine.

Anyway, its working great now, although on winblows. I'm gonna leave things as they are. However, i still want to get it working with linux sometime.

Since I don't use my win2k box much anymore, I'm tempted to install a linux distro, like the newest mandrake, and make it a dual-boot. That way I can play around with getting the LCD to work under linux, without having to disconnect it a move it around.

another update:

I reconnected my original CRT back to my FC2 box, thinking everything would work fine (since I did not mess with xorg.conf at all when I had my LCD connected).

Well, x still won't start. I get the same errors. "failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module"

I don't see what could be wrong. Just cuz I connected an LCD, then disconnected it the next day... seems my original CRT should still work ok... I mean, I DID NOT change anything in xorg.conf.

What went wrong is you probably rebooted your PC. The error means the nvidia module (=driver) isn't loaded. Add the word nvidia to your /etc/modprobe.preload file.

http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/nv-online/ Try this site for help with your corg.config.

Good luck.

The issue is as stated above, the resolution that is passed out by the card.

I cheated when I sorted it on mine, and loaded windows to see what the optimum setting was via NVidia's control center - one advantage winblows has still is that for refresh and res changes, you don't have to restart the X server and start all over again..

I found the NVidia stuff about gettting TV out also, so look here: http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/nv-online/ --> I forget who sent me the link, but its hidden on this board somewhere...

Yeah I did reboot probably a couple of times, and shutdown a few times too.

Last night, the last time I tried shutting down - when the prompt came up asking what I wanted to boot to (whatever kernel - I have about 5 listed) - I moved down to the prior one, instead of the latest one. Anyway, that worked great - everything works fine again with my old monitor. Does that make sense...?

edit: yes I guess it does make sense. I found out that when you install the nvidia module, it will be in just whatever kernel you were running at the time. If I knew that back when I had the LCD TV hooked to FC2, x may have worked fine if I just rebooted to the prior kernel, which had the nvidia module installed in it.

On a side note, when I said before that I may want to make my win2k machine a dual-boot - does the newest mandrake have anything over on FC2, I mean is it any better for such things as setting up new hardware, or whatever... ?

Edited by null