UK NTL broadband - SOLVED

Gowator

NTL works just the same as its biggest rival, Telewest-broadband.

There is nothing (usually) to configure, just plug it in and away you go. I don't what you mean by "windoze" only. They do give you a CD to install, but you don't need it. Runs straight off a cable modem.

Im doing this by phone support anon....

It seems to be some sort of cable modem but they were told they had use the install CD to setup their connection?

My friend has MDK10 and the others have WinBlows laptops but in french so the installer won't run...

Another friend took over a laptop yesterday and set it up .. direct to the cable odem which apparently worked... and gave them a password/username etc ? + a mac add...

The router has a mac add clone utility .. so hopefully this will prevent the mac add locking but the question is how to set the broadband router.. vis connection type etc.

should it just be dhcp?

NTL, just like Telewest don't have a Linux (or even Unix) skilled workforce, thus they refuse to support the relevant OS'..

There is however no issue with the services - just plug the modem into your NIC, and set the NIC to DHCP... that is about it. The reason there is a windows CD is cause windows seems to need more drivers, and they install their own "help" and "diagnostics" programs - which you don't really need...

OK thats cool then...

so there is no password/username its just registering the mac add which I guess you need the winBlows app to do?

this seems to have been done but locked to the mac add on the other friends laptop...they ultimately want to share the conneciton between the 3 of them in the house so the router needs to be in the middle... but hopefully it will pass on the default route...

thanks ill let you know how it goes!

You don't need a password or user name. You will be registered at NTL.

You don't need the windoze app either, you can get the mac address in Linux by typing ifconfig and in windoze by ipconfig \all

If it still refuses to work, login to your account with NTL and you will find a section for adding/removing mac addresses to your account.

I have a broadband cable going through a wireless router so my wife can wonder around the house with her Laptop. To get her Laptop to work, i just added her mac address to the router and also to the account with Telewest. AFAIK you can add as many mac's as you like/need.

NTL and Telewest don't support Linux at the customer end. The irony is all their servers run Linux :screwy:

Wander around the house with the laptop? is that wise? surely uou should be not letting her near technology so she can get on with cooking your tea, washing up etc...

:cheeky:

Sorry

Forgot to add....... she is only allowed to use her Laptop after doing her cleaning, cooking and other wifely chores. :D

Damn!! are sexist comments allowed here? Well i guess as they are directed against my wife and nobody elses, i might get away with it. *snigger*

:oops::offtopic: