DVD Player Probs.

Pepse

Ok, I bought a LG DVD player for my box and of course ot says it is Linux compatible. No problem there as it shows up in MCC and when I put a DVD in it and click on CDROM it shows me the contents of the DVD. But when going to XINE and trying to play it nothing happens; also tried XMOVIE. Anyway I searched a bit on this site and found what I thought to be the answer. The main thing was/is to go to: ftp://ftp.easynet.fr.plf/9.0/i586/ and download everything pertaining to libdvd and XINE(RPMs). I did and (1) nothing changed, but (2) when I went back to KDE (I'm in Gnome, now) all of the packages I downloaded are all over the desktop. And when I tried to download them into the system I got errors. Any clue as to what to do??

Later. Pepse.

If you haven't already done so , go to Penguin Liberation Front and download and install xine-d5d plugin. You must have it to break the encryption on most commercial dvds. Mandrake can't include it for legal reasons. Here's the link:

http://plf.zarb.org/

The site also supports urpmi and packages rpms specifically for the Mandrake distros.

Well, so far I am getting nowhere. I checked out all 3 links and am no closer now than 2 days ago. But these are good links if I can get things going. First off, I went to http://trylinuxsd.com , and it is a fair tutorial. There is no mention of what to do when certain things aren't there or don't work. On page 3 of the tut. it is said to go to MCC and make sure the DVD is in the hardware area; yep mine is and set just like the picture. 2 make sure it is in the /dev directory; nope, mine is NOT there. And there is no mention on how to get it there. So, anyway I continued on to see what else I might be able to do in the meantime. On page 4 it says to "add the contrib package source" by going to a mirror. Well the link takes me to MDKs home page and unless I'm suppose to go to a mirror for downloading MDK 9.0 I have no clue as where to go (I looked around, no luck). So, I tried adding this stuff by cheating a bit and that didn't work. Like trying to add the plf link. So, after getting nowhere with that I looked at the other links; penguin liberation front; didn't have any luck there, and Ogle; no luck there either. With the last 2 I end up in the page with all kinds of usefull rpms. Well I was at that page before and downloaded everthing I needed for Ogle and XINE. Well when try to open these packages it takes me to Kpackage and as an example this is what happens: <ome/ me/ libdvdcss-ogle0-0.3-9plf.i586.rpm; echo RESULT=$? . Then after a moment I get this: rpmdb: read: 0X4006ef74, 4096: input/output error,

error: db4 error(5) from dbcursor-> c-get input/output error

On the lower left of that page I have these boxes checked: upgrade replace packages and check dependicies . Then it takes me to another Kpackage page and gives a description of everything about that package and I click "install marked" and nothing happens. To be sure I went to XINE and Ogle and nothing changed.

Pepse.

If you don't have a /dev/dvd file in /dev you can create a link as follows:

# ln -s /dev/hdx /dev/dvd

where you substitute the correct letter of your dvd drive for "x" in the above. Xine sets up dvd input to /dev/dvd by default so it won't work without linking your dvd drive to /dev/dvd.

Well at least my system knows where the DVD player is. Now I gotta figure out how to correct the error given when trying to run a DVD. The error is:

-xine engine error-

there is no input plugin available to handle

'dvd://VIDEO_TS.VOB'.

maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist .

Hey, I'm getting closer, so maybe I'll have it playing later tonite. I'm thinking that the problem might be that encrypted stuff I gotta deal with. I'll look into it later. Right now I gotta work on 2 whine-doze boxes before tomorrow.

Later. Pepse.

Well at least my system knows where the DVD player is.  Now I gotta figure out how to correct the error given when trying to run a DVD.  The error is:

-xine engine error-

there is no input plugin available to handle

'dvd://VIDEO_TS.VOB'.

maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist  .

Hey, I'm getting closer, so maybe I'll have it playing later tonite.  I'm thinking that the problem might be that encrypted stuff I gotta deal with.  I'll look into it later.  Right now I gotta work on 2 whine-doze boxes before tomorrow.

Later.  Pepse.

this is indicating that xine doesn't have the dvd decoding plugin. i never fooled around w/xine, ogle always worked find for me...but i believe there was mention of where to find that plugin somewhere in the links above-make sure you installed it right and that xine knows where to find it.

:D Well, now it works. As I mentioned a couple posts back when downloading the RPMs I get an error, but I went ahead and tried it again and now the DVD player works pretty good. I didn't try the DVD, but it works with D4D and D5D. I get a little "digital freezing" but that might be due to only 256 megs of ram and a 600 meg processor. Does anybody know the apparent diffs between D4D, D5D, and DVD?? I checked the movie I have in D4D and D5D and can't tell any diffs but I'm sure it's minor. I'm happy :D :D .

Later. Pepse.