Menudrake

Guest securitybreach

Guest securitybreach

I have Mandrake 10.1 community and when I start menudrake, the dialog stops at creating standard structure then closes. Also, when I run it through the shell:

security@pcp02904856pcs security]$ menudrake

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall with no luck

If anyone could help it would be gretly appreciated. Thanx

:thanks:

• 3 weeks later...

Got the same problem:

[carl@elysium carl]$ menudrake

attribute |/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

attribute |System\/System/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

attribute |System\/System/Configuration\/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

Segmentation fault

Any ideas?

I have uninstall/reinstalled menudrake.

• 2 months later...
Welcome to the board.

There have been some updates recently, what version of menudrake do you have installed?

in a consol type:

rpm -qa | grep menudrake

well, my experience with menudrake is that it COMPLETE TRASHED my kde menu and once it happened, it kept happening and i was unable to find any help with it. In a way I'm kinda glad it happened because it got me using 'Fluxbox' which I have found is so easy to use. About 4 to 6 text files in $HOME/.fluxbox/ directory (depending on what functionality you want to use). Compare that to all the ?hit you get with KDE.. <g>

oh welll... just letting off a little hot air and hope someone else might take a look at fluxbox and find it as useful as I did..

mike..

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to the board.

There have been some updates recently, what version of menudrake do you have installed?

in a consol type:

rpm -qa | grep menudrake

Anyone solve this problem? I have updated all my 10.1 kmenu and mandrake-desk packages and stiil have the same error from menudrake viz.

attribute |/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

attribute |System\/System/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

attribute |System\/System/Configuration\/" charset| in "?package(menu)" is invalid

Segmentation fault

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by fdservices

It appears to be an error in the added-by-mandrake file. The error is:

Reading menu-entry files in /home/andrew/.menu/.

In file "/home/andrew/.menu/added_by_menudrake", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 171:

[...]ection.png" needs="x11" title="System\" section="/" charset="utf8"

[...] ^ (cedilla under the "/")

Expected: "="

Skipping file because of errors...

Lines 171 and 172 read:

?package(menu): icon="applications_section.png" needs="x11" title="System\" section="/" charset="utf8"

?package(menu): icon="applications_section.png" needs="x11" title="System" section="System\/" charset="utf8"

the section="/" appears in several lines before and after this one, so I wonder just what is the error?

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Heh, if you're interested, you should try a lightweight window manager instead of using KDE. I use BlackBox myself. I even made my own style/theme for it. You see, with BlackBox, you do get a hi-tech look, yet you don't get all the icons on the desktop and nice yet unnecessary eye candy KDE gives you. All you really have is your menu, and the ToolBar to change windows and view the time. With BlackBox, you don't have to run an App to change the menu. Editing the menu is as simple as writing to a textfile :P . However, it is your call. I recently made the switch from KDE, and I do not regret it at all. BlackBox is very fast, reliable, and I have not had an error with it yet that was not on my part :cheeky: . If you install BlackBox, however, make sure you get BlackBox version 0.70. You can get the rpm from Norlug's RPM's. Maybe Easy-URPMI as well.

That is just a small suggestion I recommend, you do not have to take it. Oh and by the way, MenuDrake will not run in other WM's than KDE, but as I've said, with BlackBox you do not need to use MenuDrake at all (in fact it will not do anything).

Good Luck! :beer:

Edited by Lärs

Heh, if you're interested, you should try a lightweight window manager instead of using KDE.  I use BlackBox myself.  I even made my own style/theme for it.  You see, with BlackBox, you do get a hi-tech look, yet you don't get all the icons on the desktop and nice yet unnecessary eye candy KDE gives you.  All you really have is your menu, and the ToolBar to change windows and view the time.  With BlackBox, you don't have to run an App to change the menu.  Editing the menu is as simple as writing to a textfile  :P .  However, it is your call.  I recently made the switch from KDE, and I do not regret it at all.  BlackBox is very fast, reliable, and I have not had an error with it yet that was not on my part  :cheeky: .  If you install BlackBox, however, make sure you get BlackBox version 0.70.  You can get the rpm from Norlug's RPM's.  Maybe Easy-URPMI as well.

That is just a small suggestion I recommend, you do not have to take it.  Oh and by the way, MenuDrake will not run in other WM's than KDE, but as I've said, with BlackBox you do not need to use MenuDrake at all (in fact it will not do anything).

Good Luck!  :beer:

You are right. It's easy to use and quite different of KDE. Did you try Xfce? Worth it to!