file sharing over home network

ChrisM

So I tried these 2 permatations (don't know if they are valid?)

# mount 192.168.0.4:/home/username/shared.stuff /mnt/shared.stuff

mount: RPC: Timed out

and also

# mount 192.168.0.4:/home/username/shared.stuff /mnt/home/shared.stuff

mount: RPC: Timed out

Hi Chris,

But why are you trying different directories (/mnt/shared.stuff AND /mnt/home/shared.stuff) ??

Do any of them exist? Its not that confusing but youre making it so.

You need to know where you want to mount the remote directory, in the client, give this command (as root):

mkdir -p /mnt/remote_shares

Once its done, issue this command as root:

mount 192.168.0.4:/home/username/shared.stuff /mnt/remote_shares

And voila, shoud be already mounted. :thumbs:

IMO your problem was that you were trying to mount the remote directory into an inexistent local directory, and that my friend, its not a good idea :screwy::lol2:

Please post results.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi feralertx

I guess I was getting frustrated with the output (permissions denied) I was trying to think may way around this - I'm new to all this command line/setting up - years of pointy clicky M$ i guess - not being required to think!

Yet I knew from some of the commands it's partly set up, but it's been like pulling teeth trying to actually access the directory from the client machine.

The directory on the server is set in home/username/shared.stuff

Same on the client (though the directory is empty - I want to view the contents from server)...maybe this is where I go wrong. Like I say, it's all so new, and I was thinking because I manged to set up print serving/internet sharing it would have been kinda 'straightforward' and I therefore jumped in at the deep end I think! Then got myself confused.

Anyway again, I followed your latest advise and ...

:headbang: :woot_jump: :banana::gossip::drum::beer: :bounce8: :xmas:

A VERY VERY VERY BIG :thanks: TO YOURSELF AND GOWATOR Thank you both. A weight has been lifted.

1 more Q - why couldn't I access the dir from my dir on client?

What is 'remote_share' - not heard of it b4

Anyway again, I followed your latest advise and ...

A VERY VERY VERY BIG    :thanks: TO YOURSELF AND GOWATOR Thank you both. A weight has been lifted.

No problem mate, you're welcome. Im sure youll 'pay' something back to the comunity in any way :headbang:

1 more Q - why couldn't I access the dir from my dir on client?

What is 'remote_share' - not heard of it b4

You dont really say how you finally made it to work, so i dont really know. Have in mind that for you to mount a remote directory in a local computer you need to specify a valid dir (a folder that exist on the local computer), so the remote dir will be used as a local one and be referred to with that local dir name. These two directories (remote & local) do NOT need to have the same name, i.e. you can mount dir /shares from a server into your local /others dir.

So to your question of whats 'remote_share' that was just a folder I wanted you to create with the mkdir (make directory) command, it couldve been called whatever else.

Anyways, id advice you to read more about unix/linux ways. A very good starting point (at least it was for me, and actually still is) is Mandrakeusers DOC section.

P.S.: I apologise if i have ever written 'folder' instead of 'directory'. There is nothing like folders in computers, its all again M$ :devil: nasty ways :lol2:

Regards,

P.S.S.: ChrisM, please edit your first post in this thread and put a 'SOLVED' in the 'Topic Description' to let people know this is over, cheers!

Edited by feralertx

You dont really say how you finally made it to work, so i dont really know. Have in mind that for you to mount a remote directory in a local computer you need to specify a valid dir (a folder that exist on the local computer), so the remote dir will be used as a local one and be referred to with that local dir name. These two directories (remote & local) do NOT need to have the same name, i.e. you can mount dir /shares from a server into your local /others dir.

So to your question of whats 'remote_share' that was just a folder I wanted you to create with the mkdir (make directory) command, it couldve been called whatever else.

Anyways, id advice you to read more about unix/linux ways. A very good starting point (at least it was for me, and actually still is) is Mandrakeusers DOC section.

To quickly summarise how I eventually got this working:

I renamed my directories and associations in etc/exports to read 'shared.stuff' removing the space.

Renaming the directory actually re-set the directory not to share - so right clicking on the directory>share> I needed to re set the radio button for it to share over the network.

Then I did as advised:

mkdir -p /mnt/remote_shares

Once its done, issue this command as root:

mount 192.168.0.4:/home/username/shared.stuff /mnt/remote_shares

And it worked. Prior to this last set of instructions, as noted, I was having all sorts of issues with permissions.

Thanks for the link, will be following this through - definately. Got me-self a couple of books and magazines too .

Thanks ever so, once again. :thumbs: