How does Mandrake compare to Suse?

i have used both suse 9.1 (the one you can download) and all the current mandrakes.  no dout about it, the mandrake install is way easier.  as far as applications off of iso's....no doubt mandrake.  (you get three disks instead of 1). 

that sounds like an apples to oranges comparison. i'm sure that your opinion about what each distro offers would differ if you compared the 3 CD version of Mandrake to the 3 CD version of SuSE.

in some respects, the comparison of SuSE to MDK is hampered by the fact that its always been an internet install or a CD purchase, and its never been available as a free ISO download... unitl very recently. lots of guys don't want to spend the time doing a SuSE net install to get the full distro, and lots of guys don't want to cough up the bucks to buy the CDs. imho, you need to have to similarly equipped installations to make a truly meaningful comparison.

having had alot of experience with both, i think SuSE Pro CDs are better out of the box, especially in the area of networking. Novell seems to be paying attention in this area.

Edited by Windependent

especially in the area of networking.  Novell seems to be paying attention in this area.

Novell hasen't "officially" released a SuSE/Novell product on the desktop yet. I know, any day now, but anything you are using now or in the past was purely SuSE devel not Novell. ;-) There is a difference!

Suze is better in every way than Mandrake. They have not had to recover from a very bad history brought on by financial circumstances and now have the marketing and engineering expertise of Novell. Mandrakesoft's recent progress has been impressive but there are still holdovers from the dark days of the past from my reading of the cooker mailing list. Maybe by 11.2 they will be fully back in the game.

Counterspy

They have not had to recover from a very bad history brought on by financial circumstances and now have the marketing and engineering expertise of Novell. 

is this any criteria for deciding which distro is good/bad? let's think again... if e.g. i do produce some shoes, one day, i start to produce bad shoes. people are unhappy. i think over it and start again, creating even better shoes but the image-loss is still there. some people do not trust me. are my shoes really worse now, because i once produced some crap? it does not sound very logical imho.

i have used both, suse (8.1, 8.2, 9.1) and mandrake (10.0 and 10.1, both CE, OE) and my opinion is that mandrake is now better in several areas. but this is only my opinion. :)

Edited by arctic