Too many tty's

arthurking

This is more of a question than a tip, but do you have tty1-tty6 and vc1-vc6 available.

I don't know if they use up resources but on a single user system, well 2 user system if you count root as one more user, you probably don't need 6 virtual consoles or tty's do you?

So I deleted tty3-6 and vc3-6 from /etc/securetty.

Does this help in any way?

(I know that this 'secures linux from hacking' because you can't login (as root) to a console that is not available)

I have realised in 2 years that I've been exploring linux (mostly Mandrake, I think) I've never needed a virtual console.

ps: I read this security tip in a "Hacking Linux" series book.

There is another way to delete those unused Virtual Console by editing the /etc/inittab file. The full information for that can be found here.

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Small-Memory/vconsoles.shtml

Now I did that a couple of years back (during the time when 256 mb of memory is pretty huge). I find that it doesn't save that much memory really. Also after getting used to typing ctrl-alt-f7 for my X session, removing the Virtual Consoles confuse me a bit if I want to go to my X session. So I just leave them alone.