ACPI Hibernate Issues

Guest melchiorus

Guest melchiorus

I just installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community Release a few days ago and couldn't be happpier. I have everything set up nicely except one nagging issue.

I got my laptop to hibernate on lid close which works nicely. After opening the lid back up and pushing the on button, however, proves fatal. It boots back up ok but for some reason the backlight just won't turn on.

I have to shine a nice lite on it in order to see anything on the screen. From there, I have to reboot, which defeats the purpose of hibernating entirely. However, after rebooting, the backlight is back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas here on what to do? I'm using KLaptop to manage my ACPI settings.

Guest melchiorus

I spent yesterday dedicating my time to this problem and I found a semi-solution. I patched a kernel from www.kernels.org with Software Suspend (http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de) version 2.1 rc2. I tried patching the default mandrake kernel but there are too many edits.

I followed the HOWTO at Software Suspend and also this article: http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

After getting back, suspend and hibernate work perfectly. To get hibernate, there is a special script on the SS website. The only thing I need to do now is fix my ACPID lid button event to run the hibernate script.

• 2 months later...
Guest FuzzieBio

Lucky you, seeing as putting in the ACPI gave me BIG TIME problems AKA a Kernel Panic.

Very painful.

But the guides that you used are very in depth and usefull for other applications.